Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apricot on peach rootstalk, anyone?

Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 18:35

Just wondering if anyone has had luck grafting apricot to peach. I figured I would give it a try this year after reading that it would be somewhat compatable.
Later on this summer I will post my results and some photos if they take. In the mean time I would like to hear about your experiences if any.

Glenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apricot on peach rootstalk, anyone?

Yup, I have lots of those and the long-term compatibility has been excellent. I have heard that apricot on peach is more vigorous than apricot on other stocks but have not noticed a huge difference.

Scott

o

Yes, Chipbud apricot Pcot on a Springcrest peach.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

This is quite funny, because I have been planning on doing the opposite, grafting peach onto apricot!

Where I live, apricot is naturalized and very well adapted to the climate, so does well as a seedling and/or rootstock. It is also easy to collect loads of apricot seeds in season for growing into rootstock. Apricot is also more cold hardy, more vigorous, less disease prone, and way longer lived. If in your climate some of these traits are reversed, it could definitely make sense to graft apricot onto peach though...

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 21:46

It is great to see that this combo has worked well for everyone,that is really good to know guys thanks! So are you finding that they are more vigorous growing? I can see that peaches grow like weeds, does this trait power up the apricot scions as well?
alcedo,thanks for adding the pic. Was this taken this year?was it a chip graft that you did last year and is now active this year?

o
RE: apricot on peach rootstock, anyone?

I think the main reason peach seedling is used so often as a rootstock is because peach seed is available by the ton at canning factories.

When I was a nurseryman I had to use nematode resistant peach stock for commercial growers.
Ordinary seedlings would look great for the first couple of years, then decline very rapidly.
Also nectarines grown on ordinary seedling would get bad speckling and cracking on the skin.
I used plum rootstock whenever I could for apricots because they are resistant to a few diseases, more salt tolerant, more drought resistant and resist water logging better.
There is a trick to getting real good results striking plum root stocks, that's one reason why some nurseries use peach.
I found Okinawa (peach) rootstock was a bit dodgy for apricots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here