Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff

Why Are The Leaves Turning Yellow On My Raspberry Plant?

ponderinstuff
16 years ago

I have a couple small, young raspberry plants that I bought bare root at Lowe's about a month ago. They were healthy at first but don't seem to be doing so well now. The drainage seems okay and I don't think they are being over-watered but the leaves are slowly turning yellow. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could they need fertilizer?

Comments (8)

• doof
    16 years ago

Are you talking about the leaves on the cane that came with the bare root, or are you talking about the leaves from new little canes growing around. It's pretty commonplace for the leaves on the old bareroot cane to die off and that's usually not a big deal. What you are really waiting for are new canes that grow from the root.

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

I would guess that the plants were not very healthy to begin with and are running out of stored energy before the roots have grown enough to produce new energy. There isn't much you can do at this point, but a little compost tea wouldn't hurt. I am losing one baby apple tree right now for similar reasons. It came with only one teeny root on it which is apparently not enough.

Scott

• mosesong
    16 years ago

Did you transplant it recently? If you did, it might be going through shock. It probably is also running out of energy for new healthier grow.

I went through similar problem with my other berry. I kept them in the platic container from Wal-mart, they had been growing slow and the new leaves were not vibrant. I recently put them in ground, and mix the soil with some "Peat Moss", the new leaves are now looks better, I guess they get more new energy/nutrient now.

Raspberry needs acidic soil, get some Peat Moss into your planting area, and get some soil acidifier powder from your local nursery, mix it with water then spray the plant and ground around the plant. It should improve within 2 weeks.

• ponderinstuff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are some pictures of the raspberry plants I'm talking about in case this helps you diagnose my problem better. I am waiting on a new home to be built so the plants are in a large, very deep container right now.

{{gwi:102843}}

{{gwi:102844}}

{{gwi:102845}}

• fruitgirl
    16 years ago

If they're not in some sort of potting mix that includes fertilizer, then yes, the problem is very likely general lack of fertility.

• jellyman
    16 years ago

Just You:

Unless that plastic container has good drainage, and the soil is light enough to drain well, the problem could also be too much water. Failing that, I would try a little chelated iron solution or iron sulphate. That stuff usually turn leaves very dark green. But your raspberries will not be completely happy until they get into the ground, so you are essentially conducting a holding action to keep then alive until that can be accomplished.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

Those wood chips also may be sucking the nitrogen out of the soil. Un-composted wood chips are known to do this. I would definitely fertilize them in the event that is the problem, using a liquid fertilizer for quick action.

Scott

• kr222
    12 years ago

Acidify the soil. Looks like chlorosis.