Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy31513

Early May Peaches

Randy31513
11 years ago

My May peach tree peaches were not that good to eat fresh off the tree but they sure made some fine cobbler and peach ice cream.

Anybody else picking peaches?

Comments (13)

• olpea
    11 years ago

Very early peaches typically aren't quite as good as later ones, as you may know.

I'm curious do you know what variety your May peach was. There is a variety Rich May, is that the one you have?

• Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA
    11 years ago

Just finishing up with Desert Gold Peach. Peaches were pretty good.

Some of the Evas Pride peaches have starting to ripen up and are quite tasty but I think it is a bit early for them. Very good peach. So excited for my first year of fruit! YAY!

• Randy31513
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Olpea, I do not know. It was tagged Georgia Belle which it is not. I am guessing it is a Gulf King or Gulf Crest, both low chill hour varieties.

Randy

• sautesmom Sacramento
    11 years ago

To me Desert Gold is kind of bleh (better than nothing), but my Flordprinces are delicious, and the tree is a growing maniac despite being a Peach Leaf Curl magnet. I have other early peaches multi-grafted (May Pride, Eva's Pride) but have not saved the peaches from the squirrels enough to comment. And last year I bought Flordking and Earlitreat (supposed to be even better!) but this being their first year with little fruit, not real tasty. I am sure they will be better in the years to come.

Carla in Sac

• wrayres
    11 years ago

Here are a couple pics of my Rich May/Flavorich peaches. The nursery I bought the tree from sells Rich May as Flavorich. My first pick was on May 4th and last on May 13th this season. This was about 10 days earlier than average after our warm winter and early spring. To me, this is a good tasting peach. Certainly better than other varieties available to me in this time frame. It is clingstone, it has a tart twang to it, sometimes strong, sometimes not, but I like peaches with a little twang to them. It's not as good tasting as the later season freestones, but overall it's a peach that is worth having if for no other reason than the novelty of its early ripening period.

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2126140340103131162ufXDjw][IMG]http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/50814/2126140340103131162S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2972530630103131162dkNzqU][IMG]http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/49058/2972530630103131162S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• wrayres
    11 years ago

Let's try this again

{{gwi:102871}}
    {{gwi:102872}}

• olpea
    11 years ago

Thanks Wrayres,

I've never grown them before, but planted Rich May this spring because a few sources said it was the best tasting peach for that time slot. Sounds like you are saying the same thing.

A few weeks ago, my wife bought a few Georgia peaches at the grocery store. They looked a bit unusual in that they were more elongated and pointy than normal.

From your pics, it looks like they could have been Rich May (the harvest date would match). For a grocery store peach, they weren't too bad. They weren't the sweetest tasting peach, but they were juicy and had some flavor. I'm sure they taste even better when they are picked ripe.

• Randy31513
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wrayres, really nice looking peaches. I have not seen that variety here but then we don't have really good fruit tree nurseries in the area.

• scaper_austin
    11 years ago

Can you tell us what your source for rich may is? I'm thinking of adding an early peach and that one sure sounds good.

Scape

• wrayres
    11 years ago

Olpea, in the lower chill hour years this peach tends to elongate and become pointy. I had around 750 hours this year. The two season prior I had 1300 and 1100 hours and the shape was oblong but rounded without the point. I don't think you'll be diappointed with this peach.

Scaper austin, I bought this peach from Vaughn Nursery out of Tennessee, but I know Adams County Nursery has them.

• garedneck
    11 years ago

My early july elberta peaches are really early this year as they normally start to ripen at the end of June, but i think spring came a month early in Atlanta. The tree was labeled as dwarft from Home Depot, but was full sized and is one of my best tasting peaches. The first peaches picked this year today were almost 3" in diameter and very good although not fully ripe with sweet nectar like juice and melting flesh. My guess is within 7 days the peach aroma will surround the tree and the majority will be ready for picking(if i can keep the birds and squirrels away).
    {{gwi:102873}}
    {{gwi:102874}}

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Early Peach for Georgia is Suwanee they ripen very sweet my first was April 27 th took about 7 more day to get 6 more sweet ones off tree last 2 picked was May 26 th 10 got missing night before squirrels good bet. If live in Georgia Google are Yahoo Suwanee peach links are interesting. I planted this tree in early January 2011 4 peaches that year from one gallon pot it set 45 peach crop some where small peaches over half large normal peach size they bloomed Twice and set fruit reason for longer picking spread. I leave peaches on to spread limbs with three loaded. I prune so out growing limbs left on tree. The tree now ready form summer growing fertilizer water sun lite and pruning to shape until December one my nectarines has finished fruiting another be about a week. We still cloudy low sunlight until tomorrow because tropical storm.

• olpea
    11 years ago

I got Rich May from ACN.

Our peaches look to be about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. PF1 will be the first this year and is probably about two weeks away.