Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

graft persimmons now or wait a week?

cousinfloyd
9 years ago

I have another dozen or so persimmons I want to graft onto volunteer trees on my farm. These trees/rootstocks weren't hardly pushing any growth before when I grafted most of the rest of my persimmons, but pretty much everything is leafing out now. I especially want to graft onto these late-to-leaf-out rootstocks, because I figure the trees I graft onto them will be less susceptible to late freeze damage, which I'm particularly concerned about with my kaki grafts. My concern is that it's supposed to be 80's all week, getting up close to 90 later in the week, and we haven't gotten hardly any rain for a couple weeks and there's no rain forecast for the next several days. I don't want to wait too long to graft and miss out on my best good push of growth, but if I graft with this forecast will all my grafts just dry out and die? These are well rooted rootstocks and it's not too dry yet -- even the grass in the pasture still looks good -- but I wouldn't be surprised if things were looking pretty thirsty by the end of the week. I might be able to water a couple rootstocks, but I can't practically water very many, and I can't do anything about the heat. What do you think?
Thanks!
Eric

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor