Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to this Blueberry bush?

Posted by Bradybb wa8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:46

I gave a couple of Blueberry plants to a friend about a month ago that are being kept on an outside deck.I just visited today after being there about two weeks ago.
He showed me them and one doesn't look healthy.It is a Draper and the other is a Northern Highbush also.The Draper's berries are small and somewhat shriveled and some of the leaves are wilted and partly necrotic.The plants are sitting side by side and he said were given water at the same time.The other plant looks fine in every way.
To me,it looks like a lack of water,but I guess disease is possible. Brady

The troubled plant
 photo Image568_zps5f9f17bc.jpg
Both plants
 photo Image567_zps9cc5417d.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to this Blueberry bush?

did you plant them yourself in the pots? if you bought them potted, it is possible, that the one that is dying doesn't have good root system... I couple times have found potted plants just stuck in the pot with half roots damaged or rotten.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 19:56

It's probably just dry. At least in TX few people seem to be able to even keep bb alive much less fruit. Sometimes I think I'm one of those people.

o

Yes,I grew the sick one from when it was a baby,about two or three years ago.I repotted it last Spring of Fall.There was a lot of fruit last year. Brady

o

Then may be it is just dry? What kind of mix you used?... Watering containers could be tricky. Sometimes you pure half gallon of water and think you watered it well... But in fact water just when between pot and the soil-root ball and leave everything dry. Give it a good long watering, with slow flow... If it is over dry inside it will take long to wet it through.

o

It is Pine bark mulch and peat moss.
The thing is,I'm not the one who's doing their watering anymore.I have over twenty plants that are similar size and none of them look like that. Brady

o

Looks dry to me as well. I have found that when watering with a hose the water will just drain to the sides of the pots and not flow through the mix its self if not kept watered often enough. I have one 15 gallon Jewel doing that as we speak. I need to submerge it and let it rehydrate. Thats one of the problems with peat heavy mixes. Once it dries out it becomes hydrophobic and repels water instead of absorbing it. It needs to be hyrated quickly because its all down hill from here.

o

I would transfer to another larger pot and then mix 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 potting soil, and about 1/3 fine pine bark mulch and water well, but don't over water. They should grow like crazy!! Amazing what mine have done after following that approach!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here