Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry growth

Posted by QuestioningSerenity Florida 9a (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 18:48

Alright ya'll, i'm back again. And hopefully I have an easy question for you all.

I took ya'lls advice about the acid fertilizer and am using that on my blueberries now. But here's my problem. The berries it has so far seem to be staying the same size. And it's grown a ton of new stems w/no berries on them. Should I cut the new stems off so it'll possibly focus more on the berries it has? Or is this how it's suppose to work? My first year with all my plants. My strawberries are doing great but the blueberries are kinda just sitting there.

That and as soon as I see any ripening berries i'm bringing those sucker indoors xD.

Btw- Blueberries have had these berries since I bought them in late march.

Again, thank you all for those who read and those who answer. I've gotten such amazing help from you all, I feel really hopefully i'll succeed in keeping 'almost' everything alive xD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberry growth

QS,

Seems normal. It will ripen the berries when it does:) The new growth won't have berries this year but will next year. The more new growth you get this year the more berries next year so don't cut them. Really just focus on growth not the berries.

o

Thank you Bamboo for such a quick answer!

I won't worry as much now :) It's fun watching everything growing this summer. Thankfully I've lil 'hunters' to help guard the lower blueberry branches from the birds.(No, i wouldn't actually let my cat's catch a bird, but they sure do think they can xD)

o

Let them catch them:) is fine with me. If that new growth is robust and gets tall you can snip the tip to make it branch out.......= more growth so more berries next year.

o

Haha it would be interesting for sure. Though i'm not sure my deaf one would know what to do with a bird xD. Oddly enough, the branches are all growing sideways for the most part. I think the 3 day storm we had did NOT help 0.o/ i was actually convinced for 3 days it had lost some branches that had mysteriously disappeared. Nope, they were just bent sideways!

o

For several weeks I have been waiting for purple colored blueberries. I had my cage setup and net ready to cover the plants when the blueberries started to ripe. And for several weeks I waited. All the time, birds were picking off the slightest ripened blueberries. I didn't know.

Until..., I had seen a pretty slightly purple blueberry, and reminded myself to pick it next day when it has ripened little bit more. That evening, when I went back to see the ripened blueberry, it was gone. No trace at all.

Immediately, I called my son out and placed the netting around the pvc cage I had placed around my blueberries.

How I had been robbed of so many blueberries...

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 12, 13 at 9:26

If you have sidewalks in your neighborhood, you might begin to see purple stained bird poop here & there, on the concrete surface. That is a sure sign that the local birds are visiting your blueberry patch. Birds know exactly what they are doing-they wait for the fruit to get ripe, before they take it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here