Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watermelon plants growing tall

Posted by naturalmommys 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 18:51

I planted some watermelon, chard and lettuce seeds. I am guessing this is what they call 'leggy'? They are growing high and show no signs of more leaves, the watermelon anyway. I'm mostly concerned about the watermelon since my kids are so
excited about this. I have them under a grow light inside my pantry. There are no windows, the only light from the grow light. Is that bad? Also its a small area they are in with the ceiling only 4feet tall, in that spot anyway. To much heat making them grow too fast? What can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watermelon plants growing tall

In zone 9 why not just plant them outside? They need more light and they only good way to do that is outside planted where they can fruit.

o

Fruitnut is right. I am in zone 9 also and I direct sow the watermelons outside on March 1.

o

It was a spontanous thing. We were in the garden center and my kids wanted to plant seeds in one of those self watering seed planting kits. We plan to transplant them into Earthboxes. So I am guessing the grow light isn't enough? Are these going to the trash or are they saveable? Is it too late to direct sow into an Earthbox?

o

Trash.... Just direct sow the seed outside in the earthbox. Watermelons need a lot of feed. I don't think it is too late.

o
RE: planting kits

Or, you might save the kits and lights to start tomato seedlings next winter. This would allow you to get varieties not available commercially. The grow light should be just a few inches above the plants, and they will need air circulation and some attention to temperature. Check on the web for instructions. You can also get a little jump on the season next year with other warm-weather crops by putting down clear or black plastic to warm the soil while planting seeds indoors. Then plant the young seedlings through the plastic mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here