Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting a mulberry tree

Posted by girlbug2 9/10, Sunset zone 23 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 19:01

Due to space limitations, I have decided that the only way I can fit a mulberry into my edible landscape (without ruining the plumbing and pavement, that is) is to have a potted specimen.

Do I need to go with a dwarf variety like the contorted mulberry, or can I try an Illinois Everbearing or a Pakistan King?

What size of container would be best?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting a mulberry tree

Size: At least a wine barrel, if not bigger.

And no, in zone 9 it's warm enough that you would limited to the contorted, because my 5-year-old Noir de Spain mulberry measures about 15 feet tall by 20 feet wide with a 12-inch-diameter trunk, and growing fast!

Carla in Sac

o

Any tree can be kept to a reasonable size if you are willing to prune it. Keep in mind, you also need to do root pruning occasionally.

If you are willing to do this I would recommend buying the best tasting mulberry you can find, not necessarily one that is a dwarf. I have heard that the Persian variety is the best, but this is not from personal experience.

Mulberries will fruit relatively prolifically when they are of a small size. My three foot tall Pakistan mulberry has about 25-30 fruits ripening this year.

Hope this helps.

-Brett

o

I would say that the largest size container that you can manage would be best, bearing in mind that every few years you would need to root prune - an exercise that can become more difficult with large containers.
I have a Pakistan mulberry growing and fruiting well in a 15 gallon pot.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 9/10, Sunset zone 23 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 19, 10 at 15:00

thanks for all the replies.

Creekweb, how old is your Pakistan mulberry?

o

I concur with the above. I think that you won't have any problem keeping one going in a container in your climate. I had several in pots for several years and they bore fruit. In Michigan, I had to heel them in each winter, and finally got sick of it and planted them out. Of course, they are a lot bigger now once liberated from the pots. You won't have that wintertime chore in Zone 9.

o

The pot will do the dwarfing and mulberries want to fruit so use any size pot you want- I'd go for 25 gallons and I'd let the roots grow into the soil and prune the roots annually.

o

I would grow the variety Geraldi Dwarf mulberry, it does not grow much over 6ft tall. It tastes similar to a Illinois everbearing from the online info I have read. You should have no problem with it growing in a 15 gal container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here