Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I prune my persimmons?

Posted by mrsmortarmixer (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 19:07

Due to our location, we've been letting the persimmon trees grow wild in our yard. I'm pretty sure they are D. virginiana. This winter, the local power company came through and whacked off a few large limbs off of our oldest tree. I was a little sad, but I knew it was coming. There are a few more that are growing near enough to the lines that eventually they will get hacked off too. I was curious as to whether I could prune these trees to keep them shorter or will that cause a short tree that will never produce? Or would I be better off digging them up and attempting to transplant them elsewhere or just cut them down? They are still a few years away from producing, so I figured this year is the time to do something. I'm not attached to them, so I certainly don't care either way. I'd just rather prevent ugly half trees in the future.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I prune my persimmons?

You can keep them below the power lines and make a spreading tree. Topping the trunk doesn't delay fruiting, topping (stubbing) the scaffold branches can. My limited experience with the natives is they don't require too much space to begin fruiting but I've only grown grafted, known varieties.

The trees might not be worth their space if you don't learn how to graft, though.

o
RE: Can I prune my persimmons?

Good to know that topping doesn't delay fruiting. Although it's not a huge concern if it does, there are plenty of others that were already here when we bought this property that produce well, and maybe 3 or 4 that have started bearing small amounts fruit in the last two years.

I get more than enough persimmons to supply customers with pulp and still have enough left over for personal use every year. We are mostly using them for shade now, so the fruit is just a bonus. I'm not sure it's worth getting into grafting. These are about a low maintenance as anything growing on our property right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here