Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inch worms on my apricot tree

Posted by Laura_Stamp Mass (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 19:14

We have lived in our home for three years and have a lovely large apricot tree in the back yard (along with several apple trees and a peach tree). The tree has always produced fruit that is full of bugs but we are ok with that at the moment because we have been busy with the new house and don't need the fruit, the tree itself is really pretty. This spring it flowered as usual and seemed fine but when I went down to the bottom of the yard after a week of rain most of the leaves were gone. Looking close I saw several inch worms and lots of "threads". What do I put on it to get rid of the worms and most importantly make sure the tree does not die. Also should I worry about the other trees. I would rather not call someone in as we don't really have the money but would if it were life or death for the poor tree. (I prefer organic but for the tree will subject us to whatever horrible chemicals). Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inch worms on my apricot tree

As you're in MA, sounds like Winter Moth, which has become a major pest in the last few years. The worst part of them as a pest is that they seem to prefer flower buds, so they can really decimate a crop.

http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/defoliators/wm_id_man.html

This is the first time I've been fairly aggressive with them and it's been working pretty well. A couple sprays with BT early on helped keep the population down and as soon as petal fall occurred, a follow-up with Triazacide and another 7 days later seems to have done the trick.

Dormant spray isn't very effective as you noticed the threads. When they hatch, if they don't find any food on their host trees, they spin a thread and ride the wind until they do. I had a lot of trouble getting some new cherry trees established last year because of this.

They seem particularly fond of apples, plums, tart cherries, blueberries and pears. Sweet cherries they don't seem to like as much and they haven't bothered my peaches, hardy kiwi, figs, raspberries or paw paw.

o
RE: Inch worms on my apricot tree

Thank you so much for the advice. I am new to the world of pesticides. Is it worth spraying the tree now or is the tree just shot for the year (there are not many leaves left) and I should start with the BT early next year? Do you spray all the trees (we have one apricot but also 10 apples, a peach, and something else that seems like a fruit tree but does not produce anything, this one has lost about 1/3 of its leaves). I assume they would all need to be done since the caterpillars can fly on their strings? As an aside, you can grow kiwis in MA, that is interesting.
Thanks again!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here