Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Newbie Question!

Posted by dolivo none (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 19:16

I ordered and recently received a trio of blueberry bushes from an online nursery. The bushes arrived as about 3 bare branches approx 24 inches high give or take.
I dug up a nice spot for them and added a lot of peat moss as suggested by the instructions for planting, planted them and watered them well.

This was two days ago. I was just wondering about how long it takes for the bushes to start showing signs of life; leaves, ect? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Newbie Question!

dolivo:

Generally anywhere from 1-4 weeks. This late in spring it shouldn't be too long. But it depends on just how dormant the plants are and how warm it is now in your area.

o

If they don't have leaves by now my guess is they were in refrigeration so be patient with them. You can lightly scrape the bark of the bushes with your fingernail to see if the bushes are still alive........if you see green just under the bark they are alive. Be patient in the first year of growth. I have learned in the last couple years that blueberry plants often look a bit rough in the first year but then really take off in the second. Good luck.

RM

o

Thanks, Riverman and Fruitnut!! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here