Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone sell strawberry plugs in retail quantities?

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 19:17

Google is a big fail here. Looking for plugs gets bare-root plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone sell strawberry plugs in retail quantities?

Nourse farms

o

Am I overlooking something on the Nourse website, MoleX? I'd love to find a source of plugs in retail quantities, as well, but Nourse doesn't appear to sell them. From their FAQ:

Do you sell Plug Plants?
Our plants are available as dormant, bare root plants. We do not sell with plug plants.

o

I just placed an order with Nourse, they didn't have plugs that I could find.

The only places I've found have minimum orders of like 2500 plugs.

This post was edited by ltilton on Mon, May 6, 13 at 11:04

o

What are 'plug' plants? Thanks, Mrs. G

o

Live rooted plants, in trays, like annuals. They're usually for growing as annuals.

o

Buy pots, soil, and Nourse berries and pot 'em up :-)

I'm not sure what good plugs are unless you want to resell and save the work; the bare root ones take off like weeds. I just planted a bed from Nourse last week and they are growing well.

Scott

o

They're easier to plant through plastic than bareroot. I'm wanting to try plasticulture. And you can't get dormant bareroot plants when I want to plant them.

o

I could have sworn they did, my bad

o

OK that makes sense.

I planted my bare roots last week through plastic, it wasn't that hard once I got the rhythm going. I put plastic down, cut small holes for each plant, nailed down one end, then peeled it all back and worked from that end down putting in the berries and moving down more plastic, aligning the plant with the hole a bit if it wasn't quite right.

Scott

o

I was thinking of putting in the plants first with a marker stick, then rolling out the plastic, cutting where the stick is.

Did you space them as annuals? Do you plan to pull them and replant, as annuals?

o

I'm growing as perennials. I have never done that in plastic before but the plan was to cut future holes for future runners and alternate between various holes. I always save too many runners and this will hopefully help me limit the number I keep.

Scott

o

This would be an interesting project to track. I'd prefer to grow as perennials, but you have to decide at the outset on the spacing, if you want to save runners or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here