Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries sunburned

Posted by KeithJenkins Playa Del Rey, CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 19:18

Blueberry novice herend I am having trouble producing a crop this year. I have fertilized only once, but for some reason they seem to be burning. We are south facing in Southern California so they do get a lot of sunlight, do you think I should buy a sunshade?

Here is a link to some pictures http://bit.ly/L4M7cg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries sunburned

That doesn't look like anything serious. Blueberries will take full sun in pretty hot conditions if they are in good soil and well watered. But shade cloth of about 50% shade will make it easier in hot weather.

o
RE: Blueberries sunburned

Keith, here in S. Calif, blueberries do appreciate some afternoon shade. But to me, it looks more like this is a pH issue. Are you growing your blueberries in the ground or in pots? When the leaves start to turn reddish, it can mean the pH is getting a bit too high. Also, too much salt in the water or accumulated salts in your soil can turn the tips of the leaves brown. Same with too much fertilizer (salts in the fertilizer). That can be resolved by flushing the blueberries well with water. This is an off chance, but some folks have water softeners hooked up to the entire watering system. Doubt this is the case, but always something to consider. I would suspect being in Playa Del Rey, you have a fair amount of salt in your soil, like I do. So, a good flushing with water will help remove accumulated soil salts if these are planted in the ground. Add some soil sulfur (be careful, a little will eventually go a long way), and also water with some diluted aluminum sulfate if this is a pH issue.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here