Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Hardy kiwi observations and questions

canadianplant
9 years ago

This will be the third season for both of my kiwi vines (Kolomikta "arctic kiwi" and arguta "issai".

The issai is planted in a fairly exposed site. It out out a single cane about 5 feet last year, which got killed to just below the snowline. I keep reading how similar they are in growth to grapes so I am assuming that if I can protect it a bit more it may take a few years to really get going.

the one thing ive noticed with this vine is that it seems to dislike heat and/or direct sun at the roots. The only time it really takes off is when the ground covers really get going and shade the lower 6-12 inches of the vine.

As far as the arctic beauty goes. It is planted 3 feet away from a south wall in one of the warmest parts of the yard. There has just been some minor top die off but no dying back what so ever. It doesnt take long before the bottom 6-12 inches of the plant are shaded.

Now the problem with this vine is that there is almost NO growth at all in the last few years. Its put out a few inches of vine and thats it. Without the die back i was expecting this one to be the more vigorous of the two, but so far I am being proven wrong.

Information is very misleading online. Some sources state they do better in partial shade while others suggest heat and full on light (like grapes). I also cannot figure out why the arctic beauty is pushin almost no growth. Could it be because of excess heat because of the wall?

Based on what Ive observed so far, it seems that they need similar conditions to clematis with "their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun" but I have not found that through reading.

What are your experiences growing these vines? Am I doing something wrong?

Comment (1)