Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting times for loquat and jujube?

Posted by red_sea_me CA9b (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 19:20

when is the best time to graft loquat and jujube trees? Best graft styles?

thank you,
-Ethan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting times for loquat and jujube?

as soon as the new growth starts in early spring. Not to late right now if you are not in a really hot area.
graft the piece into your root stock then bend the root stock branch over in an arch, so that it's past 90 degrees to the ground, and the grafted piece is at the top of the arch. This will encourage more energy to go the the graft. Once the graft has solid growth, cut away the root stock above the graft and let the branch straighten back up. A big rubber band is a good way to keep the arch in the root stock.

o

red, Roger Meyer uses a wedge or V graft.

Softmentor, I've got some jujube grafting to do this week and will give your method a try. Thanks.

o

I have had very good luck with cleft grafts on jujubes. I don't know how to do a V graft or I would try that. Chip buds I had OK luck with. Jujube wood is harder than most fruit trees and I think it benefits from the more firm contact of a cleft graft; I think V's can also be done to add pressure to the union point beyond the wrapping.

Scott

o

thank you all for the tips and input.

Softmentor, it has already started to get hot here but fortunately the loquat is potted so it can be protected as needed. I wont have the scions til next weekend so I'll see how it goes.

Djof and Scott, I did have good luck grafting this past winter using cleft/wedge both the rootstock and scions were still dormant though. It will be interesting to see if they take this time of year.

thanks again,
-Ethan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here