Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuji Apple vs. Clementine tangerine

Posted by borgtree Southern California (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 19:24

Does the Fuji Apple tree require more sun or does the Clementine tangerine? I have two locations to plant where one location receives full sun and the other spot is shaded by the house part of the day. Just planted my apple tree 2 weeks ago and it is in a full sun spot right now. I'm about to receive a Clementine tangerine tree I bought but only one of them can be in the full sun location. If you were me, which would you put in the full sun location?

Thank you for your time. 

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuji Apple vs. Clementine tangerine

Citrus require full sun; the apple can do with less

o

Second that. If you have to place one of the two is some shade, the apple will be the better choice. Citrus do not require full sun, but the apple will tolerate more shade, and the citrus will appreciate more sun.

Patty S.

o

I don't know, it's like comparing apples and oranges...

o

"Citrus do not require full sun, but the apple will tolerate more shade, and the citrus will appreciate more sun."

My Orange and Tangerine trees are shaded from the morning sun but they have grown to be taller than the house now. Being shaded never seemed to hurt them at all and everyyear they are loaded. People ask me what I do to make them produce so much and I just tell them I ignore them and don't do anything to them.

o

Thank you so much for the responses - even the one about comparing apples and oranges.. very funny :-)

.. I'm going to replant the apple tree and give the tangerine the prime spot.. Thanks again!

o

That's correct, insteng. Citrus are amazingly adaptable, especially when grown in their ideal climates. I have a Rio Red grapefuit growing in the shade of a very large Pepper tree that is thriving, and produces incredibly sweet grapefruits. In fact, it is doing the best of all my citrus up in that area, and it receives the least amount of sun of about 9 citrus trees up there! Melikeeatplants, that's pretty funny :-) Had to be said.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here