Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annag313

My Evie strawberries are dying

AnnaG313
10 years ago

Hi everybody! My strawberries are not doing so good; for some reason they are being attacked by some disease; the leaves develop some rusty spots, they wilt and they die. A few weeks ago I started spraying them with neem fungicide and last week I switched to a copper fungicide, but I see no improvement. I keep tearing the affected leaves, but if I tear more ... there will be none left :( . Please help me on this!

Thank you

PS: the white spots on the leaf are probably from the fungicide I sprayed yesterday.

Comments (8)

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

Fertilize them with B vitamins and Mycorrizhae fungi, this probably will help them get back to normal.

• AnnaG313
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help! I will try this, too.

• AnnaG313
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help. I will try this!

• Ernie
    10 years ago

Fertilize them with B vitamins and Mycorrizhae fungi, this probably will help them get back to normal.

While those things might help, they might just as well be a waste of money. Before proceeding, you really need to get a better handle on what's causing the problem. If it's fungal, then the strawberry leaf disease fact sheet to which I've linked (below) might help you narrow it down. Compare the photos and descriptions to your plants and see what you think. Are your plants in the ground or in pots? If the latter, what kind of potting mix are you using and how are you fertilizing them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Leaf Diseases

This post was edited by shazaam on Thu, May 9, 13 at 15:17

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

My strawberry plants were originally planted in the ground (for a year), but they didnâÂÂt grow that much the first year due to poor soil and some pest damage. Therefore, this past February I decided to plant them, about 30 plants, in a wooden planter 51âÂÂâÂÂL by 18âÂÂâ W by 8âÂÂâÂÂH with good brand name soil, I also added some Mycorizae fungus and B vitamins, and wow, they exploded with both blossoms and leaves. And I have to say that it worked, IâÂÂm harvesting some strawberries right now.

• AnnaG313
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These plants are part of a bunch that I bought online...they were all planted in pots...some of them in bigger pots (about 12" in diameter - these were the biggest pots I had) :) . Those that were planted in bigger pots are doing very well. The ones that are doing pretty bad were first planted in some long pots that weren't that deep (about 7"); seeing that they don't thrive, I moved them to bigger pots (12" in diameter), but since they were already doing bad, they don't seem to like their life :). On friday I bought some mycorrhizae fungi and tried to add in the ground very close to the roots. I don't like the way the roots look...but maybe they'll come around and grow strong. The soil I used is MiracleGro plus some mulch (from steer manure). I was also watering them with compost tea. I'm thinking of moving them yet again in some other soil... in about 2 weeks, if I see that they don't grow as they should.

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

Quoting annaG313
    "The soil I used is MiracleGro plus some mulch (from steer manure). I was also watering them with compost tea. I'm thinking of moving them yet again in some other soil... in about 2 weeks, if I see that they don't grow as they should."

My shuksan strawberries are planted in a soil mixture composed of 20% Native soil--desert sand, 60% MiracleGro, and 20% mulch, and so far they are doing great.
    "The soil I used is...plus some mulch (from steer manure)..."

I think that the manure might be the problem. Manure----can reach more than 100F + ----might be burning the roots, that's probably why they are turning brown and wilting.

• bluema
    10 years ago

Is Evie as tasty as advertised?