Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of soil for potted Currant/Gosseberries/Jostaberry

Posted by HappyBallz 9A/B Valrico,Florida (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 19:29

I planted a gooseberry in a mix of about 30% perlite 30% topsoil, 20% black cow compost, and 20% potting soil.

Well.. I don't know what the issue was but the gooseberry grew OK for about 3 months and then developed problems. I had it sitting inside the air-conditioned house because it is too hot for them outside, even had to move it farther away from the window since sun actually dried couple of leaves couple weeks earlier.

Well it was doing alright after those couple of burnt leaves and then suddenly took for the worst and got "lump" leaves that drooped and now starting to dry up as well.

Soil seemed moist inside, as far as I could tell it was not water-logged either and was draining quiet quickly after watering.

Any suggestions on the mix? I got couple of currants, gooseberries and a Jostaberry coming in that I want to put in pots as well.

I looked online but there was not much info on potting currants or gooseberries.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of soil for potted Currant/Gosseberries/Jostaberry

Check for aphids on the underside of the leaves by swishing some of the leaves and look for white specks (aphids) falling off the leaves. Aphids cause the leaves to mottle.

o

No usual aphids when I looked, the plant is inside the house... I did notice those little flies you get when a fruit or vegetable is starting to spoil though. They were flying around the pot.

So any potting soil recommendations for gooseberries/currants? Or no one is growing them in pots? lol

o

The "flies" were more likely common fungus gnats, not the fruit flies associated with spoiling produce.

o

Just about everything I grow in containers now,I use about 60% Pine or Fir bark mulch,20% Peat moss and 20% Perlite and adjust the mix for pH or other plant requirements with additives. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here