Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White growth on my raspberries. fungus?

Posted by grobabygro FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 19:30

I've noticed this white growth on the stem of my raspberry plant. I'm thinking it might be a fungus, but the leaves are unaffected and it's starting to bear fruit. Is there anything else it might be? I'd hate to spray it with a fungicide if it doesn't need it. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White growth on my raspberries. fungus?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 13, 13 at 22:49

I can't tell from the photo if your raspberry cane is infected or not. My experience with this plant is that it grows very vigorously when the conditions are right. I would likely just prune out a sick cane, and let the plant recover. When I have done this, the open spot will be filled in quickly-maybe a month or two.

o

Does the white rub off? Is that an old picture, where is the forming fruit?

o

I can't really see anything wrong. Is there a specific area you are talking about? If it is only on certain leaves then put your camera in macro mode and take an up-close picture.

I have a Mysore raspberries and your looks like that. They naturally have that white-ish stem and under-leaf color if that is your concern.

o

It is a Mysore raspberry. It didn't seem in distress so I thought it might be a normal variant. Thanks :)

o

I am no pro but always glad to help!
Did you get any berries off of it yet? If you did how was the taste?

Mine flowered but nothing yet... but that thing has some vicious curved spikes. You can probably make fishing hooks out of them haha.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here