Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to strawberries

Posted by dolivo 5 montana (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 19:30

hi all,
I'm planting strawberries for the first time. I bought and planted 5 junebearing plants, Honeoye variey. I still have a lot of room in my raised bed. I wanted to plant some everbearing variety to have berries all season. Is this a good idea? Will the two cross pollinate? Any helpful advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to strawberries

Yeah they probably will cross pollinate, but it does not matter at all. Seeds from hybrids do not come true anyway.
It won't change the fruit. That only happens when you harvest the seed, like in corn. We harvest strawberries for the fruit, not the seed, so I could care what pollinates it.
I would have probably planted them a little farther apart as the plants will throw runners out like crazy. I like to save them, let them root. So i plant each plant at least 18 inches away from each other.
Before you know it the whole bed will be packed with plants. This is a 4x4 bed that i started with 8 plants, a few months later.....

o

thanks Drew51. I can easily replant and space them a bit further apart. :)

o

Yeah so go ahead and get some everbearers, I think it is a good idea to have both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here