Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny female flowers....help?

Posted by darrytheprince Texas (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 19:31

I, growing Hales best Jumbo canteloupe and ive already noticed some differences from regular cantaloupe plants as far az the species goes. One it grows multiple vines instead of one vine, also it seems to flower a lot faster. One thing im noticing is there are already female flowers and from my past days i know that some females are bigger than others but these females are really small. Does it affect fruit size? Are they duds? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny female flowers....help?

How can you tell they are female prior to them opening?

o

The. "Bubble " on the end of the flower tells u everything. (The flower on the left)

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 2, 14 at 16:44

On most melons females are obvious by their size before they open. But I'm not sure from your pic which those are. Often the first ones are all males for a week or longer. Then the females start showing up.

o

Yea i know this. The males have been there a while. Ive been growing cantaloupe long enough to tell the difference. Ive just never seen one so small. And theres a bunch of them. Maybe the plant will make bigger ones when it gets older. It did make its first males at a young age so just maybe...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here