Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry leaning over

Posted by jennieboyer 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 19:42

All,

I have several blueberry plants that are leaning over and bending towards the ground. Picture of one attached. I suspect it's the weight of the berries. My question is, will they straighten up once I pick the berries? Do I need to do anything to help them? I'm fine with how they are now, but want to make sure they don't have permanent issues from this. This is the first year I have allowed them to fruit.

Thanks!

Jennie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry leaning over

Hi Jennie,
How old are your plants?They could be over fruiting.
A stake could be put in the ground and tied to them. Brady

o
RE: Blueberry leaning over

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 22:13

Agree they look to have too much fruit in relation to the amount of foliage. And I'd definately tie them up to a stake not so much for the plant but to keep the fruit clean and dry.

I'd take some fruit clusters off those shoots with the least foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here