Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early harvest year

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 19:43

Today I picked most of my White Gold cherries. These weren't ripe until June 12 last year.

Picking strawberries [Earliglow and Allstar], I got less than a pint. It's clear their season is just about over. Last year, they weren't ripening until June 7.

Everything else seems to be equally ahead of normal, and I'm assuming an early harvest - of what fruit there is.

Are other growers in the upper Midwest seeing similar early ripening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early harvest year

My Earliglow just started, though it's first blossoms were hit by frost. I don't expect many berries from that variety. My Patriot blueberries are a ways from ripe yet, but I expect they will be ready in June. It is definitely a crazy year.

o

My honeyberries started ripening about 2 weeks ago, and are done now. I only got about 1/3 of what normally would set, most of the blooms died, which surprised me, since I thought they were pretty tough. This is about 3 weeks ahead of the earliest I've seen them, and about 4 weeks ahead of "average". And, I could go out and pick about a quart of strawberries tonight, very early for this part of Michigan, when strawberry season traditionally runs from about June 15th through July 1st.

o

I'm figuring if it weren't for the freeze, most of my strawberries would have been ripening over the 3 weeks 5/7 - 5/28. Of course the blossoms killed by the freeze were the first and best.

o

My Stella and Lapins sweet cherries are done. They were very good and I had quite a few on the Lapins tree. Almost sick of them now, but I still have a pretty loaded Kristin sweet cherry that will ripen in the next few days.

Strawberries are probably past peak here. Lots of berries out there still, but the kids won't eat them anymore because we've been out there for the last 2 weeks.

Very early year on everything. I would imagine the apricots should be very early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here