Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

Keep roostock leaves initially to gather energy for top grafts?

armyofda12mnkeys
9 years ago

Hey all,

I have some apples and quinces that I grafted this year on to rootstock I bought from RainTree. Also chip-budded a few USDA quince varieties on the same Raintree quince rootstock that I whip and tongued grafted to.

Many of my grafts and buddings look good and started to slightly bud out on the top grafted portion.
The bottom rootstock portion budded out much earlier and small leaves and small .5-1" branches are starting to form on them...

My question is...
Is it good to keep a few leaves/branches on the rootstock to give energy to the top portion during this time period?
or is it better to clip off all the rootstock buds/leaves now and force the graft to push out its growth (like maybe the plant feels like it has no buds/leaves left on rootsock wants to push its grafts bud's out as fast as possible to get photosynthesis started to make up for it by flowing more sap upwards)?

Anyway that question applies to plants where the graft portion if def looking like it will bud out (green bud tips).
I think I know that if the graft isn't budding out, then rather than waste a rootstock, maybe I should keep the leaves/newly forming branches to graft onto next year.

Just curious what people who are pros at this kinda stuff thought,
Ari

Comments (4)