Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reviving an old fig from the roots

Posted by misslisamham 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 19:49

With my house I inherited a garden that was neglected for a long time. I was told of a wonderful fig tree that died some years ago, but last year and again now it is coming back from its massive rootstock underground. Last year the shoots suffered from what seemed to be either Fig Mosaic Virus or rust; this year it is fine (so far).

My questions:

1. There are several shoots coming off the rootstock. Should I choose one and cut down the rest, or let a whole flush of them come up and prune back in fall or next year?

2. Should I water them? It's very dry and hot where I am in Northern California (inland Bay Area). Last year I watered the shoots regularly, the first time they had any water during summer in years, and I wonder if that contributed to the disease symptoms they showed. This year I'm not watering yet, and I wonder if that's better for them. They are new shoots, but off really old rootstock. They do droop in serious heat, but otherwise look good.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reviving an old fig from the roots

If there are enough shoots,maybe try cutting some and growing them.There are videos on how to on Youtube.Brady

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 23:05

I would dig it all out and start over with a new plan. It sounds a bit unruly and who knows what the end result of your salvage project will be. The tree is suckering which can make it a "weed" of a tree.

Besides, once fig trees are established they are like tanks. Something had to have gone terribly wrong or someone tried hard to make it go wrong. I don't like either scenario.

o

Even if you dig it all out, I wouldnt be surprised if it still came back from a chunk of root you missed.

o

My main concern is how do you know the fruit will be good? If you feel sure it is a good eating fig, I think you can revive it. I am growing Brown Turkey here for 20 years with no summer water. My soil is clay loam with average winter rain of about 30 inches. I am also 'blessed' with numerous wild figs growing throughout my garden, being removed yearly. I let one grow to see if the fruit was usable, and found it was not. Al

o

You mention rootstock. Figs are normally grown own root, meaning they aren't grafted onto a rootstock. Your fig is probably own root, therefore, I would not prune it, but let it grow.
Figs like a lot of lime, so I would lime the tree, and keep it well watered and mulched.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here