Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree illness

Posted by samuelpayne96 Oldham, England (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 19:51

Hi. Iv'e just recently noticed that all my apple trees seem to be infested or infected with some sort of illness/bug. The majority of the leaves have small holes in and are strangely shaped. I did see some small green fly looking things. I also noticed on last years apples that they had little brown blemishes on them.

Does anyone know what this is? I can give more info if needed. Thanks :)

Thanks

Samuel :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree illness

Bit of a guess here, but that looks like aphid damage. Turn the leaves over and look at the underside -- if it's aphids you'll see lots of tiny green bugs on the bottom of the leaves.

Brown blemishes on fruit could be early signs of an apple scab infestation. If it is, it's going to get worse this year. It can be controlled by spraying, but you're supposed to start before the tree flowers because the spores infect the tree early on. (Don't spray when the tree is flowering of course, because you don't want to kill your pollinators). It could be other things too, so do some research and see it it's a match.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here