Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haskap Bugs

Posted by NortherOntario 2 (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 19:54

Hi, I have a few honey berry bushes to plant and I found these on them. Returning them is not feasible. I think they are lecanium scale but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm this and know of any type of insecticide I can use to get rid of them. I don't want to plant these if it will cause an infestation in my yard as I have several other fruit trees.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haskap Bugs

Here is another picture. I live in Ontario where a lot of insecticides have been banned.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 31, 13 at 21:08

Why not submerge them for a couple of days?

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 31, 13 at 21:09

Why not submerge them for a couple of days?

o

submerge them?

o

Try safers soap. You need to spray once a week to make sure you break the egg cycle. ITs basically dishsoap with some type of oil. Where did you get them from?

o

I will try that, hopefully it works. Read something about systemic insecticides, though I don't think we can get that in Ontario...

o

Scale. Insecticidal soap works on the crawlers. Get a head start by physically removing the big mommas

o

I only use safers soap. As far as I know its just dish soap with some oils in it. Doing it once a week for a month should work, and jean has a great idea by removing the big ones. You can use a q tip dipped in iso alcohol, which instantly eats their exoskeleton. Give a spray with safers, and start the weekly routine.

Are you by chance near the Thunder Bay area?

o

Is Green Earth insecticidal soap the same as Safers? also, would it be better to do a horticultural oil spray? can I do both within a few days of each other? If so, which one first?

Thanks a lot for the help,

I am in Kapuskasing.

o

Can I spray insecticidal soap and then spray Horticultural oil within a few days of each other? If so, which one first?

Thanks a lot for the help,

o

Mix them together in your water solution.

o

Hi Noogy, I tried mixing insecticidal soap and horticultural oil in a water solution and submerging the plants, there were still some live crawlers so a few days later I submerged them again in a malathion water solution. I guess it was too much, the plants wilted and there were still live crawlers. I burnt the bushes. Too bad, but I didn't want to risk infesting my other trees.

o

Aw that sucks. I'd spray them with a heavy dose 3x a day. Try adding also 1tbsp peroxide/cup water and a tbsp of isopropyl in the your spray. See what that does to their exoskeletons.
That mix in particular knocks out aphids and mites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here