Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Baby Watermelon question

Posted by Geekella (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 19:54

After a little teeny baby watermelon is pollinated and starts to get a bit bigger, how long does it usually take for the melon to develop into maturity? (this is the sugar baby variety)

Now, I know you're going to say things like "it depends on the weather conditions" and "depends on your zone/soil/ect"

so lets just say I live in zone 8, and for hypothetical reason's we'll say i get generally nice weather for the most part, always watering in times that there is no rain. We already fertilized the soil.

I ask because I have SO many little baby watermelons that have been pollinated and are slowly getting bigger.

So basically i'm just excited and would like a guesstimate. I know these things aren't something you can know for sure. Thanks for you help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Baby Watermelon question

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 14 at 20:49

I think my 25 pounders take about 55 days. I'm recording as we speak. Wrote down when I pollinated the first one and it took on May 11. That melon is now 8 inches by 4 inches and might be ripe by the 4th of July.

Yours should be about 45 days I'd guess. How big are they now? Are you sure they're set? Usually only about 10% set. The rest get about an inch long and quit growing.

o

I was going to say 6 weeks. That's about what mine were in the past, let's say I live in Z5, which would be a little cooler, so your's might be a bit faster.

o

First off, let me start off by expressing a bit of outrage and jealousy about anyone who is fussing about watermelon fertilization on May 22.... I planted my "just-sprouted" watermeon seeds in the garden a day or two ago.

That said, I looked up my garden records from last year for "Yellow Doll" watermelon, which yields watermelons about the same size as Sugar Baby... I noted on August 12 that the melons were ping-pong ball size so that's when I assumed pollination was successsful, then the first ripe melon was picked Sept. 16, or 5 weeks later.

o

Mid July to Early August

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here