Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Reddish Spots on Nectarine and Peach Leaves

I have some odd reddish spots showing up on my new peach and nectarine trees, as well as my Necta-Plum. I'm thinking it is fungal, either Shothole or PLC, but not sure. Here are some photos of the nectarine and peach tree leaves:

{{gwi:103853}}

{{gwi:103854}}

{{gwi:103855}}

{{gwi:103856}}

{{gwi:103857}}

{{gwi:103859}}

{{gwi:103861}}

Any help diagnosing, and if there is a spray I can use at this point to help?? Ugh. So new to stone fruit I hate not knowing what to do. Ask me anything about citrus, but not so knowledgeable with stone fruits. Harvestman, Al, Cebury, Scott, Fruitnut????

Patty S.

Comments (11)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Patty:

I won't label that a disease. The trees look stressed by cold, wet, overwatered, ??? My response right now to those trees would be to wait and see how they look after it warms up and they start growing. It doesn't look serious unless it's wet feet.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Could be a little overwatered. That's an easy fix. Didn't like the drips my landscaper put on the trees. Will swap them out for gph drips, which I much prefer. I can put them on 1, 2, 3 or 4 gph nozzles. I'll check down in the ground a wee bit and see if they're too wet. And just my luck - it's going to rain - a lot - tomorrow. Will take them a bit to dry off, then :-( Thanks, so glad it doesn't look like a fungal thing. Had enough fungal infections this spring to last a lifetime. EVERYTHING had some sort of fungus in my yard, it seemed!

Patty S.

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

It could have gotten scalded by the sun at transplant time. This is common because at the nursery the plant may have been stored out of the sun and then you suddenly put it in full sun. That can cause the red patches; interior leaves will not be so damaged.

Scott

Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, could be that, too, as we just had a wee bit of a heat wave last week - temps jumped to the 90's for 3 days, which was really odd. Back down to the low 60's right now. All the leaves are very young and tender, so maybe they got a bit sunburned. They do get full sun all day long except in the very, very late afternoon, about an hour or two before sunset.

Patty S.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Patty:

Sorry to change subject but where did you find the Sweetcrisp blueberry plants?

Thank you!!

Original Author
    12 years ago

I found them on Ebay, from Florida Hill Nursery. They also have a website which I included below. They were really nice. They're on their way, so I'll let you know how the look coming clear across the country from Florida to Calif!

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Hill Nursery: Sweet Crisp blueberries

• blackrag
    12 years ago

I have something very similar on my nectarines and peaches. They are also beginning to drop leaves. At first I thought nitrogen deficiency then bacterial spot since the County Extention has reported "above average", but after reading the above posts, I wonder about the overwatering. It has been a very, very wet spring in this area. In fact, it is raining again today. Chad

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Some of the round spots do look like bacterial spot in the above pictures, but based on all the non-spot redness I think it is more to do with the trees general unhappiness than a spot problem, and there are not many spots at all. Unhappy trees are bacterial spot's best friend. FIx the underlying problems and the spot will probably clear up.

Scott

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Scott and fruitnut. It's raining here today, too. But, I'll switch out my drips on these trees to lower gph nozzles and see if that fixes the spots. And, I think maybe a very light application of fertilizer now that they are established is in order, too.

Patty S.

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Patty, do you still have these trees? Have the spots cleared up?

My peach trees did the same thing (not as bad though) during the first year or two of growing but are now growing fine. I think it was an over watering issue and lack of nitrogen. My county extension could not find any disease pathogens so they narrowed it down to nitrogen deficiency.

So if you still have them, how are they growing now? :-)

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Did it post?? Ah see above..