Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many apples too bag?

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 20:01

Hi all, I have an apple bagging question. Given a beautiful cluster of pollinated apples, how many apples per cluster can I bag? I have fairly heavy successful pollination this spring. The apples are still the size of a pea, but you can tell which ones are strong and which will probably drop. Since this is only my second year of harvest I don't want to be too greedy and sap the tree, so to speak. Thanks, Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many apples too bag?

One apple per cluster.

And thin out some of the clusters, too.

o

I usually follow the same method Itilton suggested. By now, the baby fruit that wil not make it usually show sign of stems yellowing and will fall off.

I admit, once in a while, I let the two biggest fruitlets in the cluster grow, granting I make sure the branch can support them. I've never let 3 in a cluster grow. My apple tree (William's Pride) is still young.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 22:16

Leaving one apple per cluster would be way too many for my trees. I think that's a really poor way to decide how many apples to leave. After all how many clusters do you have and how far apart? But then I prefer return bloom and really high quality fruit.

Don't leave so much that it runts out your tree. That's probably the worst that can happen.

Usually the reality of bagging causes me to thin a little more. And I've had some bad stone fruit already this year partly due to leaving too much fruit. So I'm on a thinning kick.

o

Thanks all. Since I've had most of my trees for only 5-6 years, I still consider them very young. I'll thin according to your instructions. Thanks all. Mrs. G Egad! don't want runting trees!

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Mon, May 27, 13 at 0:58

The other downside to not thinning enough is that the trees may decide to thin for you in June. It's not good to see a bunch of painstakingly hung bags on the ground.

On some of my smaller trees, I actually thinned the flowers out, hoping to save energy for the trees. It also makes for less work later (and there were fewer leaves to get in the way).

I started this year's bagging last week (30-40) and used up a complete box (125 count) of bags today. There is more to go, but I am most of the way done. Last week I saw almost no hits, but now, I'm seeing quite a few PC bites, which I am thinning off. I've been careful to collect them all for the trash, rather than letting them sit on the ground where they could hatch.

Interestingly the hits seem to be non-uniformly distributed. Egremont and Roxbury Russets both had almost complete coverage...to the point where I was considering bagging a few ER with bites (hoping the apple would grow fast enough to crush the eggs), just to have something. While the Kidds Orange Red (right in between the 2 above trees in the row) was almost free of bites. Next year, I think I'll need to bag those 2 first.

o

PC damage has been really heavy this year, very early.

I think one reason is that it's actually pretty late, in calendar terms, not fruit maturity terms. I think the PCs are going by the calendar and getting impatient while no fruit was set for so long.

o

As Itilton stated "And thin out some of the clusters, too. "
I thinned out a number of clusters esp. ones next to the ones I keep or in bad spots.

Like Fruitnut, I tend to thin more since I have had good experience with good quality fruit (large and fully developed) after aggressive thinning. I prefer quality over quantity for my fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here