Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghadames

How to pre-moisten peat moss for planting blueberry in container

Ghadames
9 years ago

Growing blueberry plants in containers has always been a challenge. I've realized that the ones I grew last year didn't have dark green leaves and weren't strong enough.

Long story short, as soil, I only used Fafard Low pH Planting Mix (thinking it would be good enough). But I've read that peat moss is great for blueberries. So I mixed 50% of dry peat moss and 50% of Fafard Low pH Planting Mix in a container with the plant. Like many others, when I started watering it, it was only then that I realized peat moss doesn't absorb water well.

So my question: If I have to pre-moisten peat moss, how can I do it without using tap water (since it is said to be harmful for blueberry plants)? I don't have enough rainwater at the moment. Distilled water is an option, but will cost me a bit. Can I just use tap water only once to prepare the soil?

I also want to ask about the soil composition:

Fafard Low pH Planting Mix contains:
- sphagnum peat moss
- aged softwood bark
- Biosol compost
- sand

If I do 50/50 peat moss and Fafard Low pH Planting Mix, is it good enough? I can also buy and add perlite. I know pine bark fines soil conditioner is recommended, but I've had no luck finding a store that sells anything that has to do with pine bark. Or maybe I haven't looked carefully enough.

This post was edited by Ghadames on Thu, May 22, 14 at 21:03

Comments (13)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Just FYI

Here is a link that might be useful: pine fines

• Ghadames
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, cold_weather_is_evil. But I live in Quebec, Canada, and I couldn't find it on the Canadian Home Depot site.

• berry_bob
    9 years ago

holy smokes $9.99 per gallon that's some spendy stuff

• beeman_gardener
    9 years ago

Use a wheelbarrow, add the peat, use tap water to start, then keep mixing until it's all wet, then fill the containers.
    I wait overnight for it to expand the peat and absorb all the water.

• beeman_gardener
    9 years ago

berry_Bob. $9.99? We are constantly being ripped off over pricing.
    I recently priced Scott's 'Weed be Gone' in the USA, about $15. Just priced the exact same size item here are Home Depot $39. That's a Canadian company for you, greedy bunch a AH's.

• charina
    9 years ago

I don't think a little bit of tap water, enuff to wet the peat moss, is really going to do anything significant to the mix or the plants. Over time with regular watering, yes I believe it has its impact, but not when just a little bit is used here or there. Adding a surfactant to the water will make a big difference. There are commercially available surfactants for use in potting mixes, but you also could use a mild liquid dish detergent. A couple drops per gallon will help overcome the hydrophobic tendency of dry peat moss.

• Ghadames
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok great, thanks! What do you think of the soil composition? Should I add perlite or anything else to it?

This post was edited by Ghadames on Thu, May 22, 14 at 23:09

• charina
    9 years ago

I know Drew has suggested using various Fafard mixes but I have no experience with them. I question if you will get any better results with a 50 50 mix of Fafard and peat moss though. In large part it seems like just more of the same, perhaps even more poorly draining. I suspect that unless the mix is in contact with the ground through the pot holes, you're gonna have some water logged areas in the bottom of the pot. Then again it might be what is needed, I don't know.

But I wonder if there isn't something else that kept your blueberries from flourishing. While the Fafard has some compost and amendments, I wonder if there might have been some nutrients lacking. Did you use a fertilizer with micro nutrients?

• Ghadames
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is specifically designed for blueberries and acid loving plants. You'd think it would be good enough. I only used Miracid, and I think that's what made them have dark green leaves, but I remember overall, the new branches looked weak.

I always keep a space between the pot holes and the ground, so the container sits on bricks. And watered with rainwater.

This post was edited by Ghadames on Fri, May 23, 14 at 1:20

• jean001a
    9 years ago

To moisten the peat moss, add hot water.

If you get the peat moss in a bag or bale,
    prop up the bag/bale;
    cut a circle in the top of the package;
    pour in hot water; wait at least overnight.
    Add more hot water if needed.

• gonebananas_gw
    9 years ago

Ditto to Jean.

Use HOT water.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

adding to the hot water suggestion ...

wet the peat FIRST.. then mix with other pre-wetted media..

THEN PLANT...

the only real problem you have.. is you did it backwards ...

NEVER plant a plant in dry media... how do you know it wetted thru the whole mass.. and didnt leave a dry gob in the middle ... [been there .. done that .. plant died.. i learned]

remove plant.. dump it all in a galvanized wash tub.. wheelbarrow.. kiddie pool.. wet it .. replant ...

ken

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

If you can use Holly Tone, and cut down on the Miracid using only 1/4 dose a week. Stop using it August 1st. Weak growth is kinda common for blueberries. They need as much sun as possible. I would not blame the soil. My guess is too much fertilizer, and/or not enough light.
    If you can fine spray the peat with water, it will absorb better. I myself have never really had much of a problem, as a good soaking after planting seemed to be enough. I use it dry myself.
    I like to add Diatomaceous earth. I make my own soil.At this point I'm leaning towards more pine bark than peat. But basically use a 4-2-1 mix at this point. 4 parts pine 2 parts peat and 1 part DE, particle size like perlite, not the food grade. I use Optisorb. It's an oil absorbent that is 100% DE.
    In this photo of my pots you can clearly see the DE.
    {{gwi:103900}}
    I have been adjusting this mix all year, and feel this is best at this point. Sometimes I add one part Fafard mix also.

I add a lot of other stuff too, I add azomite, rock phosphate, worm castings, organic fertilizer, dry molasses, mycorrhizal fungal spores , and alfalfa.

I also at some point water with Biota Max to add beneficial bacteria.

This blueberry plant is 2 years old
    {{gwi:103901}}

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals