Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
afss_gw

how to identify cherry tree species

afss
16 years ago

i have cherry trees growing in my yard and want to try to id them. Can anyone point me to a resource or give me help identifying them?

thanks

Comments (9)

• jellyman
    16 years ago

Scott:

The best way to try to identify cherries is by the characteristics of the fruit, although many cherry varieties share common characteristics with others, so you may never know for certain the varieties you have unless you can find the person who planted them. Your brief question mentions nothing about the fruit, and not much about anything else. It is not possible to identify a cherry by looking at the leaves.

There are sweet cherries, sour cherries, and sweet/tart cherries, and among these are dark red, light red, yellow, blushed, and just about everything in between. Sour cherries can have yellow or dark red interior flesh. If you were able to accurately describe the cherries your tree produces, which might take more than two sentences, it is possible someone could take a guess.

Aside from this, many mailorder and online nurseries describe and often illustrate the cherry varieties they sell. So you might start by using your search engine to look at nursery lists. Since you live in Canada, you may be able to find descriptive information on cherries from Agriculture Canada, which publishes loads of information on fruit growing.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Sweet and tart cherries have different growth habits, leaves, flowers and fruits. You can tell them apart by any of these characteristics, using references such as identification guides that include these two kinds (comprehensive manuals will also address the hybrid between the two).

If you have labeled or otherwise identified plantings (like in an orchard, demonstration garden or other accessible collection with records) or specimens (such as nursery stock) near you these can be compared with what you have also.

• jellyman
    16 years ago

Scott:

The best way to try to identify cherries is by the characteristics of the fruit, although many cherry varieties share common characteristics with others, so you may never know for certain the varieties you have unless you can find the person who planted them. Your brief question mentions nothing about the fruit, and not much about anything else. It is not possible to identify a cherry by looking at the leaves.

There are sweet cherries, sour cherries, and sweet/tart cherries, and among these are dark red, light red, yellow, blushed, and just about everything in between. Sour cherries can have yellow or dark red interior flesh. If you were able to accurately describe the cherries your tree produces, which might take more than two sentences, it is possible someone could take a guess.

Aside from this, many mailorder and online nurseries describe and often illustrate the cherry varieties they sell. So you might start by using your search engine to look at nursery lists. Since you live in Canada, you may be able to find descriptive information on cherries from Agriculture Canada, which publishes loads of information on fruit growing.

• jellyman
    16 years ago

Sorry about the repeat post. I don't know how that happened.

• afss
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info jelly man and bboy.
    Don, i appologize for the two scentence post, i know alot of folks look for answers that are beyond the information they give on forums however I wasn't trying to get an answer of what the tree was with no description, or with only two scentences, only looking for a resource that would say, if the leaf is this shape and the fruit is this color then you have tree X.
    I would describe the fruit to you but i have only lived in this house one year, wasn't thinking about the trees at all when i moved in as i was dealing with the move and renos, so i have no idea what the fruit is like aside from it looking like a cherry, i don't even remember if it was red or black. When the trees fruit again i will take notice of these things.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Look for identification guides at library, sweet and sour cherries are common enough to appear in ones dealing mostly with wild plants.

• puppymamma
    14 years ago

I am a novice with fruit trees. I have never had any before and we moved into a place with three odd trees that I don't recognize. They have never produced fruit. They have a grey bark that is striated and oval shaped leaves that remind me of cherry tree leaves when I look them up online. They do flower small white flowers in the spring. Any clue how I could identify these guys or if its possible they are a fruit tree when they have never produced? I did some pruning 2 weeks ago and the flowers popped out about 3 days ago.
    Thanks

• soccgirl
    13 years ago

my cherry tree is yellow on one side and pink on the other side what type of cherry is it? Sour or Sweet?

thanks

celeste

• mburchfield77_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I just moved and my yard is full of the cherry looking trees..there is no flowers,the leaves are turning red.there is a ton of fruit on each little branch.they are not ripe yet,but was wondering if anyone could help identify.the leaves are oval n red edges almost purple.the bark is smooth with numerous branches that are small in diameter..