Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple guava -- advice re fertilize, hand-pollinate?

Posted by otherchuck none (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 20:09

Greetings,

I have two pineapple guavas I planted maybe ten years ago, and while they appear to be healthy (despite having their leaves occasionally grazed a bit by ground squirrels), neither has ever produced any fruit. One is about 7 feet tall, and the other is about 5 feet tall, and it SEEMS to me that they are growing in ideal conditions (sun, soil, climate, water, etc.). I live in the Santa Ynez Valley, north of Santa Barbara, CA, USA, which is zone 14 according to the Sunset paradigm.

I am not a big fertilizer at all by nature. I grow mostly native-style plants that really don't seem to need or want much fertilizer, so I am nervous about fertilizing the pineapple guavas. However, should I fertilize these two trees in hopes of boosting their growth? If so, how much, and what kind of fertilizer should I use? It is now the end of May...is that an acceptable season to fertilize these trees?

The two trees are about 50 yards away from each other, so I am thinking maybe it wouldn't hurt to hand pollinate these guys (I don't know if these are self-fruiting or not). How does one hand pollinate these kind of trees?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chuck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple guava -- advice re fertilize, hand-pollinate?

Video/discussion in the linked thread....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple Guava Thread

o

That is awfully slow Feijoa growth for ten years. Mine would grow over two feet per year if I didn't pinch the new growth when at one foot. All this growth with only a couple of inches of composted manure added every few years.

You imply your plants bloom but do not mention how much.

When you tap on a blooming feijoa branch, pollen does fly off. 50 yards is too far for reliable wind pollination.

You do not even need a brush to hand-pollinate these. Just thoroughly molest the blooms by fingertips, touching all the flower parts (except the petals). 2 or 3 seconds per blossom is enough, just concentrate on the fully-open blooms that have yellow pollen on the stamen tips. Once the stamens start to fall off the flower, it is too late.

If your plants are seedlings, extra effort may be in vain. I've seen quite a few plants up here in Portland refuse to fruit.

o

I have two Pineapple Guava�s in my front yard. One planted three years ago and another 6 feet away that replaced a dead one last year. The three year old one is about 3 feet tall and just as wide. It has had plenty of fruit before and is loaded with flowers right now. The newer one has grown up to match the older one in size but has no flowers so far. I expect to see fruit growing on the older one pretty soon.

I toss a handful of general fertilizer at each one about three times each year. I have not attempted to pollinate either one. I�m about 30 miles North of LA.

o

I had a tree for over 10 years and it never gave but one or two fruits despite lots of blooms until I tried this last year (see link below).

Then it was loaded. Looks silly, but it seems to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand pollinate Feijoa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here