Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattjjd24

first year pruning of a contender peach tree

mattjjd24
10 years ago

First off, please forgive me for not knowing the jargon of fruit trees precisely. I'll muddle my way through and I think you will get the idea.

Earlier this spring I planted a contender peach tree. I'm growing it in a fairly confined space and I want to train it to an open cup formation. So I followed some instructions I had read and cut the leader down to about 30 inches. At that time, no branches or anything was left below my cut.

Now its sprouting branches all over. I can see a few going in just the right direction that I think I"m going to want, so I figure I'll keep them. These are pretty low on the tree, but above the graft site.

My questions are... 1) The new branches sprouting above the branches I want to keep...should I prune them now? Let them grow and prune them later?

If I keep the stump of the central leader, it will be about a foot above the brances I'm planning on keeping, and I think it might look funnyin the long run. Should I just cut down the central leader to just above the branches I plan on keeping? If so, when? Now, or next year?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert