Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best mulberry tree for small yard partial shade ok?

Posted by xenacrocker 7md (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 20:14

Hi,
I'm new to gardening. I would like to plant a mulberry tree/bush in our small yard that backs to wooded parkland. We would have lots of woodland visitors and my husband would freak out if the siding and deck of our house got stained. it is about 30 feet from the edge of our property/woods to our house.
What mulberry tree would you recommend?
Where would you buy it?
I was thinking of a weeping white mulberry.

Thanks,

andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best mulberry tree for small yard partial shade ok?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 08 at 18:29

Yes if you don' want the fruit for eating then a fruitless weeping one would certainly solve the staining problem.

o

My vote is for a Geraldi Dwarf. Mature size 6-8ft tall and spread. Berries are excellent and bear longer than most. I wouldn't think there would be much mess because it's more like a shrub with no canopy. I just planted 1 bareroot from Burnt Ridge Nursery, and the little thing already has a couple fruitlets. In fact all 3 of my mulberries have been in the ground less than a year and all have fruits forming. Great low care fruit trees! Oh, and try Burnt Ridge, Edible Landscaping, or Whitman Farms for Geraldi.

Good luck,
JB

o

Mulberries will certainly be visited by your "woodland visitors" so that will be a challenge. There is a white mulberry that is quite delicious and does not stain. Dave Wilson nursery produces them. You can find nurseries that have Dave Wilson stock in most cities and online.
I have been trying to get my wife to agree to a fruiting mulberry but they are messy and you will likely find seedlings in your lawn and everywhere else too. They sure are yummy though!

o

I have Illinois Everbearing in 2nd season that gets afternoon shade. Hoping I will get to taste the fruit this year. : )

o

Hi,
Thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like they're yummy but spread quickly?
Will my neighbors hate me if I get one?
Are thornless blackberries a better option?

o

Well, depends on the neighbors. If they are the kind to eat the ones on the branch that hangs over into their yard, they may be more understanding. but yep, they can be a problem.
blackberries will spread too though, both underground root runners and from seeds, so they can invade the neighbors too.
I'd give the mulberry a try. I know people who have won their neighbors by sharing the fruit. Every kid in the neighborhood will know where the tree is too.

o

White mulberry (Morus alba L., a Chinese native) is an invasive species in North America. According to Sylvan Ramsey Kaufman and Wallace Kaufman (Invasive Plants, Stackpole Books, 2007), "white mulberry is considered a severe threat to the red mulberry (note: a native tree), particular in Canada where red mulberry is uncommon. White mulberry pollen appears to overwhelm that red mulberry, causinig hybrid mulberries to form. Because white mulberry is so much more abundant, red mulberry's genes may eventually disappear. White mulberry fruits are edible but not nearly as flavorful as red. Chinese use white mulberry leaves for sheep and cattle fodder."

o

Also, be aware that the berries of white mulberry, M.alba, are not necessarily white - yes, there are some white-fruited selections(in my experience, they're lacking in flavor - just sort of sweet and 'grassy'), but the vast majority produce lavendar/purple berries that can stain - whether tracked in on the bottom of your shoe, or in bird poop - as surely as any good M.rubra or the rubraXalba hybrids like Illinois Everbearing.
IE gets my vote as the best-tasting mulberry I can grow here, but the trees eventually become huge! I've not grown Geraldi, but have friends who have, and they like the fruit, so if you must have a small one, I suppose it would get my nod.

o

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I need to think it over a bit more.

o

I never eat Mulberry fruit before. However I remember when i was a child, my mom boil the mulberry (silk worm type) leaves and made kind of 'tea'. It tastes quite good and helped to deal with the hot weather (100 F).

I did some research and the silk worm mulberry is the white one, Morus Alba type. I looked up on Raintree nursery and saw couple of them.

I just wornder if anybody has used the leave of white mulberry to make tea? I like the Illinoise everbearing, but that is hybrid, not sure I could use the hybrid leave to make tea.

Any info would appreciate.
Thanks
Alpharetta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here