Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air-layering Kaki persimmon for instant fruited tree

Posted by tonytran 5a Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 20:19

I am propagating three more Ichi Ki Kei Jiro persimmon trees by choosing the previous fruited branches from last year and air-layering them. This will give me instant fruited persimmon trees for next year. I will unwrap the foil sheets in the middle of July to check for rooting. Once rooted, the trees will be potted and over wintering in the shed. I will plant them in the ground next spring.

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air-layering Kaki persimmon for instant fruited tree

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, May 14, 13 at 20:30

Have you done this successfully before?

o

Murky,

I was successfully air-layering one last spring. I used rooting hormone by the cut and wrapped it with moist moss and covered it with foil sheet. it took less then 10 minutes for the process.

Tony

o

Tony, aren't you concerned about having less cold hardiness since it'll be on kaki roots with growing in zone 5?

o

Creek,
Two years ago I grafted Honan Red, Saijo, Sheng, and Tam Kam on Giant Hana Fuyu seedling rootstocks to test them out with winter protection and they did survived last winter low temp of -12F for a couple of nights in late December and they all leafed out now. With these three branches, I am planning to dig a deep hole below the freezing level so the root does not freeze and mulch the base high up and wrap them with stuff dry leaves for winter protection. I will force them into early dormacy by defoliate them in early September. I love doing all this trials.

Tony

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, May 15, 13 at 12:42

Great work, thanks for sharing the details with us.

Are you aiming for really small fruiting trees? I'm assuming that if they are bearing while so small that will take a lot of the vigor out of them.

o

Murky,

Yes, the smaller the trees, the less work for me to do winter protection in the fall.

Tony

o

very interesting post! thanks

o

I have no luck in air layering old wood branches they don't root . Young branches rooted for me successfully.

o

TH,

Just remember to add the rooting hormone to speed up rooting process. Look in the link below, there was a gentleman also air-layering persimmon successfully, but I am not sure if he use the rooting hormone.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Air-layering persimmon

o

I have a Fu Yu persimmon tree in N. VA. It already has small fruit. Is it too late to try this?

o

Charlie,

You can do it now. It is only in the middle of may, you will have plenty of growing season left for it to root. I did a 2" bark removal down the the cambium layer and rubbed on the rooting hormone. You can use clear plastic bag to wrap it or a clear plastic water bottle and cut only one side all the way from the top to the bottom of the bottle and pull each side apart then fill it with moist moss. I secured each end with black electrical tape. The last step is to wrap it with foil paper to keep it from getting too hot. Charlie, you need to remove all the persimmon fruitlets on that branch because you want the energy to grow roots and not fruits while air-layering. Just prune back 1/3 of all the branches before you pot it. Good luck.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Thu, May 16, 13 at 11:03

o

Is it too late to air layer a FuYu in the middle of July?

o

Charlie,

You can give it a try. If the season is too short to form roots then try it again next spring. I did mine back in the middle of May when the tree just starting to leaf out. I unwrapped one of them to see if it has rooted yet a couple days ago. The upper part of the 2" stripped bark callused nicely and starting to form small bumps for the beginning of root formation. Good Luck.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here