Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazeaglory

Citrus Tone(Epsoma) Vs. Dr. Earth

blazeaglory
11 years ago

Hello. I was considering buying Citrus Tone plant food for my citrus trees but also use it for my stone fruits as it is not very different from the "Fruit Tree" blend. I think it might only be off a percentage or two in a couple areas. My question is does anyone have any experience using these products? I know there is "Citrus" in this question but I will also be using it for my plums and peaches. I noticed it has no micro nutes so I will be supplementing with an all purpose liquid fertilizer. One of the reasons I want Epsoma or Dr. Earth is because of the beneficial microbes. What do you all recommend? Thank You

Comments (5)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

blaze, it depends more on the ratio of NPK that the percentage of each macro for your stone fruit. Citrus are high nitrogen demanders as you know. With your stone fruit, you're better off with a lower nitrogen ratio. I prefer to use Gro Power Flower N'Bloom 3-12-12 which has a large amount of humic acid in it, which is very helpful for my rather thin DG soil. Too much nitrogen is going to give you very lovely looking, lush trees with poor tasting fruit. You can search this forum for "nitrogen" and get filled in. Many of the very knowledgeable forum members like olpea, fruitnut, applenut, scottsmith for example have all discussed keep your nitrogen limited.

Patty S.

• blazeaglory
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah Ive been reading about the N debate. I have a headache...hehehe But what has been bugging me is the Dr. Earth Fruit fertilizer is 7-4-2 while the Citrus Tone is 5-2-6. And also (side-note) the Epsoma Fruit tree tone is 6-3-2. Thats why I was kind of thinking the Citrus tone would be better all around for my Citrus and Stone Fruit(5-2-6). Plus it contains 7 different beneficial fungi. I also have different liquid ferts for micros.

The problem is lack of cash at the moment so I was trying to get something that would be somewhat beneficial for all my in ground fruit trees you know?

• econ0003
    11 years ago

I use E.B. Stone or Dr. Earth on all of my fruit trees. Neither one is very high in nitrogen. I give the citrus a micro nutrient supplement in addition. The trees all do well with it. No poor tasting fruit.

• blazeaglory
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi econ. Have you tried green all? Its made by E.B. Stone but it is not "organic". I like this because it contains Sulfur and Calicum to help lower the Ph in my soil. Right now my soil is a little over 7.0. The thing is I would not want to use this on my Stone fruit.

Citrus & Avocado Food 14-4-8
    For delicious citrus and avocados. This product is formulated for green growth and an abundance of fruit.

Guaranteed Analysis: Nitrogen 14%, Available Phosphate 4%, Soluble Potash 8%, Calcium 5%, Sulfur 6%, Iron 3%, Magnesium 0.40%, Manganese 0.20% and Zinc 0.20%. Also contains Humic Acid.

Here is the Stone fruit mix. Not much different only %2 less Nitrogen.

Fruit & Vine Food 12-4-8
    For a bountiful harvest of quality fruit and berries. Contains micronutrients, humic acid and slowrelease nitrogen to aid in the development of growth and fruit production of fruit trees and vines.

Contains Nitrogen 12%, Available Phosphate 4%, Soluble Potash 8%, Calcium 7%, Magnesium 0.40%, Sulfur 5%, Iron 2%, Manganese 0.12% and Zinc 0.12%.

• zimzam_2010
    11 years ago

I have been gardening for over 30 years and there is no comparison between Espoma and Dr. Earth. Dr. Earth is hands down the best fertilizer and organic product I have ever used! Espoma is a clear knock off product and contains cheap fillers like manures and other cheap crap. As far as the micros go, look at the ingredients of Dr. Earth, even though they only list N-P-K and maybe calcium or sulfur they use fish bone and seaweed as the base ingredients which are inherently high in micro-nutrients. Besides that, Dr. Earth invented the concept of adding probiotics like beneficial soil microbes and mycorrhrizae over 20 years ago when Espoma was still in the dark ages along with all other pseudo organic companies. I live in California and enjoy citrus year round and I use Dr. Earth because I can trust them and their core values. I tried EB Stone once when a local nursery was out of Dr. Earth and I should have just bought a cheap bag of chicken manure for 2 dollars, because that's what it is just like Espoma and Kellogg's and that biggest polluter Whitney Farms which is a Scott's Miracle Gro product. The guy above is a dumb ass by recommending Green All with its high N-P-K, when you are obviously looking for an organic product. It's like Apple VS. Microsoft!!! no comparison