Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uranazo

Blueberry bush dying after planting

uranazo
9 years ago

3 weeks ago (approximately) we planted our first blueberry bush. Heres the image of it when we were done:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B34bZmUgfZagdHZLQlB3djNWRVE

We didn't have a pH meter when we planted (though it seems ok now) and we know we didn't pack the dirt down very well. Before planting, the plant went inside and outside for a few weeks every day, leaving it outside for longer and longer each day. Also, we watered it every day 2 times a day after planting and then we just got a huge rain storm for like 3-4 days so I'm sure it got plenty of water (maybe too much?).

Now the plant is definitely going to die (or already dead). Attached is the image of what it looks like now. Is there any way I can save this plant? We are about to plant 2 more and are afraid of the same thing happening again.

Comments (8)

• uranazo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres the plant when we first planted it, after having it for 2+ weeks sitting in the pot.

Oh, forgot to mention, we used about half organic top soil (about half the bag so 0.75 cu feet) and half existing soil that was already there.

(No clue why this thing seems to be rotating my images in a bad way, heres the originals on google drive:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B34bZmUgfZagdHZLQlB3djNWRVE/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B34bZmUgfZagOVd5OG9lbWlIT0U/edit?usp=sharing
    )

• hoosier318
    9 years ago

Ph seems to be fine on you meter maybe even a little low, yes blueberries like water, but like anything else you can do too much of a good thing. You can actually drown them and need to have good draining where ever you plant them. With my blueberries I planted in the garden, the first week I water heavily upon planting then monitor water/rain after that. In the pots I do the finger test and make sure the soil is most. For the pots I use 1/3 peat, 1/3 good potting soil, and 1/3 fine pine bark mulch mixed together. Also will add some Holly Tone (slow acting) for acid loving plants around drip line for a boost. Sometimes I brew coffee (as it is acidic) and mix 1/3 coffee and 2/3's water (fast ph fix) then water my blueberries with that to give them a boost. I just planted some new plants in pots and as soon as I planted them and hit them with this in a few days leaves and new growth forming. Check out YouTube for some visuals, great advice there for new plants and planting! BTW live in Plymouth, IN where we have the Blueberry Festival which is one of the largest festivals in the midwest. Believe me that doesn't make me any more knowledge bound, as I learned from other great people along the way too like nearby Pertic's blueberry plantation and friends! Watch for rabbits in the winter time as I learned the hard way on that as they chewed my blueberries down to the ground.

• uranazo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. We have tried putting some tree-tone fertilizer down near the base of the plant and are waiting to see if it will take any effect.

Does the plant even still look alive to you? Is it salvageable or should we cut our losses and just dig it up?

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Uranazo,

I don't think planting blueberry in wrong ph soil will kill it that fast. I don't think your problem is ph.

When I planted my first blueberry 10 years ago in the middle of my veggie garden, it did not thrive but did not die, either. It sat there for 3 years. I got fed up and dug it up and gave it to my friend. At the time, I blamed the plant!!

If your blueberry does not suffer some kind of disease, I guess it's either too wet or too dry or both at different times. When I see green leaves drop from a tree, it's usually too much water.

When you took your blueberry out of the pot, did you check if it's root bound or what type of medium it was in? Some potting mix they use does not retain water well or was so dense, water cannot get through.

I am not sure if your blueberry in the picture would survive. Those branches are dying.

Before you plant the next blueberry, you can google this site for suggestions as well. I think you should check the rootball of the plant when you take it out of the pot, loosen it up before planting.

Spaghnum peat moss is the mix people usually use but you need to wet it well with water. Don't use it dry. I have 7 bushes, some I mixed it half and half with native soil. I planted two bushes on 100% peat moss (well-wet). They seem to thrive well.

There are many experienced blueberry growers on this site. Hopefully, they will chime in.

It's good if you can tell us your location, too. Different location, even on the same zone, make a difference.

• charina
    9 years ago

How deep did you plant it? The second photo makes it appear that it might have been planted deep. Perhaps it is just the effect of large mulching pieces.

How is the drainage in your soil?

Overwatering is the likely culprit. Deep planting and poor drainage would compound over watering. Don't let the soil around the roots dry out, but don't keep it water-logged either.

• uranazo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I think we planted it too deep and were overwatering it. Last weekend I dug up all around it (it was super muddy and wet, was able to dig it up with my bare hands). We accidentally mixed in a lot of top soil when we planted it with the natural clay soil but didn't mix it very well, it was very layered instead of mixed. Its replanted now, a bit higher so it slopes down all around it, and with potting mix that my local nursery recommended using mixed really finely with the natural soil.

It still looks like its dying (or dead), haven't seen much improvement since replanting it over the last few days.

• uranazo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's what it looks like now. It seems that the base is turning whiter, like the bark is healthier around the base maybe?

Also, I'm located in the Northern VA area, outside of Washington DC.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

There may be a chance.If the bark is scratched down low in one place,with a fingernail or small knife and is green underneath,there is life.Any place that is brown under the bark is dead and can be pruned away at some point. Brady