Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara7worthington

does anyone know what kind of blueberry ?

sara7worthington
10 years ago

does anyone know what the ka bluey blueberry from gurneys and henry fields is? I ordered one two years ago and it is the only blueberry I have left that the rabbits have not destroyed. I live in Michigan so I can't order it anymore because of new state regulations. It is the easiest plant to grow and it has a few buds this year so might get to try it this year

Comments (18)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I think it is a northern highbush?

Ka bluey is a Univ of Ark selection licensed exclusively to Gardens Alive!
    From Dr. John Clark of the University
    of Arkansas :
    "This selection was not released or tested as an advanced selection due to
    having darker fruit than I thought commercially acceptable and size was
    medium to med small later in the season. The flavor is very good in my
    opinion but would not do to encourage commercial use."

• sara7worthington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Gardens Alive owns Gurney's and Henry Field's too. I'm in MI and it sounds like a winner to me. I wish I could get one!
    They decided to release to the home market only.
    The description though is very subjective. Most nurseries describe mediocre fruit as great, like Chester Blackberries. Even though the fruit is just OK, Chester is productive, hardy, grows fast, and is disease resistant, so to me it is still a worthy plant for jam or syrup.
    Anyway not the case here, sounds like taste is very good, the berries are a little small, no biggy!
    I have a Chandler, Toro, and Liberty (developed by MSU) blueberry bushes. All are fairly young. The Toro was damaged by my dog and set way back. But I really like the bush, so I'm nursing it back to health.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, May 8, 13 at 17:24

• sara7worthington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just bought two bluecrop blueberries today at a local nursery. they were five dollars each. they are about three foot tall and both have flowers and fruit already on them. This winter my husband is going to put up a fence so I don't have to worry about those rabbits this year.(I HOPE)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Bluecrop are decent, I saw those too, but have no room. I can make 3 more beds, but I'm still working on an 8x12 bed. I'm not even sure what I'm going to grow in it? It would make more sense for me to replace the damaged Toro bush, but it also is about my skill to recover the plant. A lot to learn doing so, worth loss of fruit to be a better gardener.

• treehugger101
    10 years ago

Sara7worthington, can you consider growing the blues in pots? My in ground were all eaten by rabbits but the berries in pots are loaded with flowers. I transplanted the roots on the eaten bushes to pots. Just a thought.

• sara7worthington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not really wanting them in pots. Only thing i growing in pots right now are figs and poms. my husband refuses to move them and the fig is really heavy. do you have to move them when it snows or cover them or anything? if i have to bring them in the house or garage he will say no.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

How about burying the pot in the ground? Brady

• sara7worthington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But i would still have a rabbit problem they eat all but the kabluey blueberry. I think i should stick to fencing them in unless i can find more kabluey blueberries. And they dont sell them in michigan and i cant order them

• TheDerek
    10 years ago

Its not too difficult to propagate blueberry plants, do a search...

• sara7worthington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

TheDerek makes a good point. You wouldn't necessarily need any special equipment to root blueberry cuttings. I think misters are normally used, but I've rooted cuttings with some success -- not 100% but with a few extra cuttings I was plenty happy with 1 in 3 -- with nothing more than a good potting mix carefully dampened and a clear plastic bag to keep the cuttings from drying out with indirect sunlight. Layering (bending a bendable young branch down and covering a part of it to grow roots, plus possibly scarring/wounding it) might be another very simple option that could work for you. Or simplest of all, you might have a natural runner you could just separate.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Okay,I thought the Blueberry plant(s) might need to be moved if in pots because of freezing weather and your husband is going to put up a rabbit proof fence.Digging a hole and putting the container in it before it freezes will solve the cold problem.
    There is also an ethical thing to consider.If a plant is under patent,which usually expires in twenty years,we're not suppose to make duplications of it by propagating.I haven't checked on the Ka-bluey,but it sounds fairly new. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Does anyone know why it is restricted in MI? Others are too, like Hanna's Choice. Which sounds like a decent plant.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Yeah Drew,I can't get it sent to Washington either.I think it's because they don't want to pay the extra fee to get the plants inspected when required by other states.
    Check out The Cook's Garden though, for Hannah's Choice.As far as I could tell,there is no restriction to send it to Michigan.I think their affiliate is Burpee's.There is also a $2 flat shipping charge through May 14th.Just type in FS128 for the promo code during checkout. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cook's Garden

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Brady thanks much for the link! I need to set up a spot, but I will book mark the site.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    7 years ago

The restrictions in Michigan have to do with them testing the plants for viruses and such. It takes time. Ka-Bluey is now OK in Michigan.

• Amanda Tyner
    7 years ago

2 of my 9 blueberry bushes are ka bluey and I love them! It has a really great tasting medium sized berry. The rabbits have left mine alone as well. One of my bushes gets nibbled but it's also my oldest and I have forget what species it is.