Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do you use a respirator/face mask while using surround

Posted by lycheeluva 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 20:32

just wondering whether i should be using a face mask or a respirator when spraying surround on my trees or when thinning fruit in the trees after i have sprayed surround on the trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do you use a respirator/face mask while using surround

Lychee, I never thought to use any protection the few times I used Surround; I found it obnoxious after it was applied because of the texture, but I didn't experience a dusty quality, and of course chemically it's very inert (it's clay and pretty dense). Of course it goes on wet, so dust isn't an issue during application.

But it's worth considering whether the dust might be dangerous if inhaled in quantity. I doubt it myself, unless one smokes (because smoking destroys the cilia that provide the first line of defense against such things) but even then I have to wonder whether it's any worse than the many country roads I've driven on. It's not like asbestos or those kinds of things, to the best of my knowledge.

o

The active ingredient in Surround is also the active ingredient in Maalox. I agree with MN that you might want to use a dust mask in breezy conditions while mixing, but that's about it.

o

THANKS for the response guys. i had the same question about working with turface. any thougts anyone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here