Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Re Peach Trees. Wish I knew what I now Know..

We inherited a peach tree and our first experience was watching it self prune due to too much heavy fruit last year during our move.

But, it was full of ripening peaches. We came back to the house a couple weeks later. They were all gone. We never tasted one.

This year, we pruned the tree. We thought we thinned the fruit. We really didn't know to spray fungicide, so we didn't.

We did cover the tree with bird scare tape, and very few peaches were pecked, but most were rotting from the inside out. I rescued enough small peaches to make one fresh peach pie.

1. We should have sprayed after blossoms with fungicide to prevent brown rot.

2. We should have aggressively thinned like 10" instead of a fist between fruit so the peaches would have been much larger.

3. We should have pruned right after the tree's fruit was gone, and we will do so this year!

I wish I knew what kind of peach it is. It's yellow inside, very sweet and juicy, and it has a pointy tip at one end. It's a cling peach.

I figured out how to get the pit out pretty easily. The flesh is so good, it's worth slicing around it, twisting the halves, and popping out the pit. Sort of like pitting an Avocado.

My next lessons will be about apricots. All a learning curve.

One question I have is about Brown Rot. IF we spray next year, will we be OK, or is the tree diseased forever?

Suzi

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm