Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf peach tree with no leaves

Posted by rachellou ohio (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 20:59

Hello! I am new to this site but I have looked around a bit and can't find an answer to my question. I bought two dwarf red haven peach trees from the same place and planted them last month, in April(these are my first fruit trees). Neither had leaves when I planted them. They are about 10 feet apart and 5 feet tall. One tree looks great, with tons of leaves. The other, has no leaves but little black bud things that look like leaves might come out. It is very far behind the other tree. When I scratch a branch, it is still green and we've had no frost (close, but none) since I planted them. Is this tree dead or should I give it more time? Is there anything I can do to help it along? Thanks so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf peach tree with no leaves

Give it more time, maybe the tree that doesn't have any leaves is due to shock transplant. In other words the roots were not as strong as the other tree. Be careful not to over water and or fertilize too strong on the tree with no leaves. You can use a Vitamin B1 fertilizer and or Superthrive to give your roots a boost.

Ron

o

Thanks! I'll have to try to find those products and give it some time.

o

There is a long list of other products that can be used also. The ones I listed above are easy to find.

o

Rachel, your tree is lacking the energy to wake up, its a not totally uncommon problem in bareroot peach trees if the tree is a bit weak to begin with. My impression is most of the time the tree will never wake up, but occasionally it will. In rare cases it may wake up the following spring. I had one that stayed green until the following spring and then finally died. None of mine ever woke up, and I have had 3-4 of these. My personal opinion is those recommended products will not do enough to be worth bothering with, but they will also not hurt anything.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here