Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'John' Pear questions.

Posted by canadianplant 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 21:11

IT seems that most of the plants I get, are elusive on the internet :D

I found 2 decent sites. One from the Uni of SAsk (which was vague), and this one

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/search.pl?accid= PI+617629

One tag says "Pyrus Communis", and the pot is labeled "Pyrus "John"". It turns out its a cross (Pyrus ussuriensis x Aspa) Since I cant find out about My pear, I want to look up the parents. The sibearan pear is easy enough, but "aspa" is again, elusive. I have to assume its a P Communis hybrid of some sort..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'John' Pear questions.

Pyrus communis x P. ussuriensis cross. also called Beurre John.

yellow fruit, thin skin, mellow juicy flesh. (whatever mellow means). fair fresh eating; better if geown in far north and eatwn when perfectly ripe. preserves very well, no indication of method (cooler,freezer, canning, etc). fire blight resistant, hardy to zone 3.

o

THanks for the other name suggestion. I managed to find a bit more info with that name. Thanks! The stuff you posted was basically all I can find, just rehashed over and over (not using the Beurre name).

I think "mellow" refers to a flavor that doesnt knock you on your feet (like REALLY good strawberries).

o

Intriguing hunt. I found this link which names the chap who developed this pear. Searching on his name shows up a lot of stuff he introduced.

Also you could look at:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex/2009-January/033955.html for another mention of John.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pears for the Prairies - John

o

I really don't know why they still propagate John for the general public, you can't eat it out of hand, I use it for blending apple juice.

o

Cuz when you live in da north...you grow what some people a (pear) not necessarily what the rest of the world calls a pear. too bad we don't have a system of transportation and refrigeration that allows for long distant shipping so that even those lucky few fortunate enough to live in outer north dakota can have fresh tropical produce...like apples and pears...

and yes. i am fully aware that nothing tastes as good when it is allowed to fully mature on the tree. if you don't think that...what are you doing here?

o

We can grow allot tastier pears then John, even in the north.
And yes, tropical fruit gets as far as the far north, ...if you don't know this,....what are you doing here?

o

IVe read conflicting info on how well it is for fresh eating. One of the few sources ive read, stated that they need to almost completely ripen on the tree (of course there is a source contradicting that :P )

I unfortunately have to go by availability. Ive only ever seen "john" for sale, and that was this year. I think Ive seen "ure" for sale at a nursery here, but when I phone they say they dont have any.

I DO still have 2 "flemish beauty" scions, but theyve been in the fridge since Feb, and the buds on my "john" have already burst - too late this year.

I have only ever seen a few types for sale in other places that are hardy here: Ure, Nova, I think Bosc, possibly flemish beauty, and one more that has escaped my memory.

Worse comes to worse, Ill get a bunch of different scion pear variaties, and stick em on there. I also wouldnt be against making apple pear juice (I also have a honeygold apple tree, and a seedling apple, which im going to get some grafting material for next Feb.)

What kind of pears would you recommend me in zone 3 or 4?

o

I have for many years now a good annual crop of the Golden Spice, keeps in the fridge for about a month, nice little pear.
Have Simonet, Westfort, Eearly Gold, Summer Crisp still alive but freezing back out in the country but would do OK in town I think. Anjou still hanging on for over 10 years, [in town] had fruits several times. Have now several Russian pears, some are very good tasty, [at our annual fruit show] ...see if you can join a fruit group and get some scion.

Golden Spice

Photobucket

o

Thanks again Konrad. Ill keep an eye out for some good scion (along with the next batch of flemish beauty).

I did manage to find a "comice" pear. Looks like its in really good condition. Its labeled "dwarf". At least I can find a good amount of info on that one!

o

big tease. jeepers, my last girlfriend was like that. you state you got some nice varieties...but then you get all mum...

details, man, details...how much alcohol will it take to get the names? cuz while i live not far from NYC, my parents live not far from Fargo...and dad's got more land than he can farm...but never enough fruit trees.

if I lived within 500 miles i'd be at your place come harvest time. with booze. and cash. would it be harder getting into CA or back into the states?

o

From Ecological Fruit Production in the North by B. Hall-Beyer and J. Richard:

John: A fair quality pear from Saskatchewan. Large with good shape and decent flavour, but better for canning than for eating out of hand. Its flavour is best when the tree has ample water. Worth a try in Zone 2b since it is of better quality than the pears that are fully hardy in that zone. Fireblight resistant.

The book says, "[Ure] is far and away the best pear that is fully hardy everywhere in Zone 3.

o

Thanks! I think I have a decent idea of what I have now, and what I can get away with....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here