Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glyphosate vs. Mulberry Tree

Posted by ShenandoahJoe 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 21:15

A farmhand got a bit carried away, and rounded-up (round-upped?) one side of my mulberry tree. All the leaves are dead, about two feet back from the tips on that side.

Is the tree in danger? What should I do to keep the poison from hurting the rest of the tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glyphosate vs. Mulberry Tree

Not much you can do at this point. You'll have to wait until the tree "tells" you what will happen next.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 9:05

Joe,

It depends on the size of the tree. Glyphosate will generally do an excellent job killing young trees if all the foliage is covered. Larger trees can tolerate it more.

It's a good sign that foliage is only dead on one side. Since glyphosate is systemic, it's likely the tree didn't absorb enough to kill it, else all the foliage would be dead.

It will help some if you keep the tree well watered. That's a slight antidote to glyphosate. Just don't water the tree so much the roots start to rot, otherwise you'll compound the problem.

o

Thanks, Olpea. I'll take any good news I can get. It's rained three days in a row, so I may be in good shape.

This tree is about 20 years old, and would have been about 15 feet tall. But it got halfway knocked down in a storm so all the branches are easy to reach. It would be difficult to replace, to say the least.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here