Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing spinosad

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 21:22

Does it hard spinosad if it's frozen? How about once and done? I know heat is not good for them, but don't recall reading anything on freezing temps.

Thanks,

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing spinosad

I have not heard anything on freezing. My impression is its reasonably stable at room temperature so there is no big reason to freeze. I am currently using the same batch I bought over five years ago and have had sitting at room temperature since then. It has surely degraded some, but I am still getting good results in terms of moth counts so something must be working. Codling moth granulosis virus on the other hand must be frozen because it has very short shelf life otherwise.

By the way on the topic of spinosad I have been having huge problems with green plum aphids and just yesterday I decided to spray a combo of spinosad and oil on them to see if that would be better than oil alone. I have heard that spinosad can have some action on aphids, we will see.

Scott

o

Will pesticide on the trees kill the spinosad. I also wonder about the sprayer too. Even after rinsing the sprayer a couple times it still smells like pesticide, wont that kill it? Wouldn't mixing it with oil smother it? The label doesn't say anything about this. I have been waiting to spray it.

o

At least a few freeze thaw cycles are a non-issue.
I sprayed the red currants a few evening a ago for currant sawfly, using a 2 year ols bottle that lived in the unheated shop overwinter. Wiped the sawfly larva right out.
I get a couple generations a seaon on these guys, and they will strip the plants bare in a few days if you let them get going. Only red currants and gooseberry, never touch the blacks.

o

Thanks! I had hoped this might be the case. Now I'm wondering about triazicide (once & done)..

Johnnysapples, the pesticide won't kill anything but bugs, and there surely isn't enough residue to interact significantly with the new chemical. What you are smelling is mostly the solvents and carriers necessary to deliver the pesticide.

But as long as we're on the subject I do think I have read cautions about using a sprayer with residual herbicide for anything else, so maybe I'm wrong about the pesticide. I do, however, use the same sprayer for both spinosad and triazicide, and don't think that either has any affect on the other.

o

I was just thinking since spinosad was a living like yeast or some kind of ferment it might get killed by other sprays.

o

I think it is produced by a fermentative process, but I don't think that it is "alive". A parallel might be alcohol, which is produced by the yeasty fermentation of carbohydrates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here