Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you graft Flowering Apricots to each other?

Posted by armyofda12mnkeys 7a, Phila, PA (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 21:23

I was going to get the Winter Double-Flowering Apricot from EdibleLandscaping.... I was curious if you can graft other Flowering Apricots to another one....
If so, What type of graft and when?

I did find this online but it says grafting Mume onto a Cerasifera and doesn't mention grafting Mume onto Mume...

"For cultivars true to form, you'll have to propagate from softwood cuttings taken in early summer and kept misted. Prunus mume can also be grafted by T or chip buddings with buds from soft or semi-hard wood onto the more available purple leaf plum, Prunus cerasifera, understock."

Also if anyone has the 'Matsubara Red' variety, let me know. Looking to graft or root that one.

Thanks!,
Ari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you graft Flowering Apricots to each other?

X onto X nearly always works so they don't bother to mention it.

Scott

o
RE: Can you graft Flowering Apricots to each other?

Cool thanks scott...
Nursery EdibleLandscaping also just responded today below:

>I was curious, can you graft other Japanese Flowering Apricots to each other?

Yes

>If so, what type of graft and when to graft (whip n' tongue graft in late-winter/early-spring?)?

That works too.

>I was thinking about grafting 'Matsubara Red' to your flowering apricot but didn't find any information online about grafting flowering apricots.

June budding is the choice at this time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here