Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any reason not to co-plant Blueberries and Raspberries?

Posted by RichinRichmond 7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 21:23

I have a long raised bed of blueberries, which have not done well for various reasons. I fixed most of the problems I could identify (under-watering, pH adjustment, root competition from the neighbor's tree, stem blight, voles), and most of the surviving plants are doing well this year. I planted some raspberries in two empty-ish sections of the bed, but they are pretty much going to be cheek by jowl in there before long. Are there any reasons this might be a bad idea? (or it is too late...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any reason not to co-plant Blueberries and Raspberries?

It could get really thorny picking blueberries. And the raspberries will crowd and compete. If you want a good crop of blueberries I'd plant raspberries somewhere else.

o

I agree with fruitnut -- raspberries are much more vigorous, and you will be fighting with them every year for several months on end to keep them from overtaking the blueberry bushes.

o

Not sure they are pH compatible. Blueberries prefer pH around 5, whereas raspberries prefer around 6. Meeting in the middle might work, but would not be optimum for either. Also, nitrogen requirements are different. Blueberries prefer ammonium, and raspberries prefer nitrate.

Blueberries are a finicky plant for conditions. I would keep them separate if possible, since the plants have different requirements in many ways.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here