Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

What is the deal with these apricots?

franktank232
9 years ago

The tree flowers normally, starts to leaf out normally and then the leaves never grow in size (they seem dull/very small) and then droop. The Hunza tree this year seems to be sending new shoots very low on the trunk (can't tell where the graft is anymore). I'll upload some pics tomorrow (going clubbing right now :) :) ) to give an idea of what is happening. Last year i did have the main trunk snap in a storm so i had to cut it back and two side branches are now the main growing stems.

I have had this happen to 3 trees now. The first 2 were Tomcot (on whatever Raintree sells them on) and now this year its Hunza on Citation. The Hunza is pushing 5 years or more. The Tomcots were maybe 4 years old.

Anyone seen this? Do you think its root related (borers)? Cold related? My Puget Gold right next to it looks normal. A disease? I might have to chop this Hunza and then let some of those lower new shoots take over? or remove the tree entirely. I ordered a Robada (Fruitnut made me do it) that i could put in its place.

Annoying! Not that Hunza is that great, but its still a decent apricot (large/good flavored in my opinion). The Puget Gold I have is slowly being grafted over to a Frankenstein tree. It has Satusuma, donut peaches, hybrid plums, Redhaven peach, Tomcot apricot, maybe a pluot...can't keep track.

Comments (4)