Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to select a disease free grape vine?

Posted by silent88 OC, So. California (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 21:24

Hello everyone,

I am planning on buying another red flame seedless grape vine (or maybe even a variety I have never had before if there's anything interesting) and I'm pretty excited. lol. ;D

But I have a red flame grape vine already that, to my surprised (I usually have bad luck) is doing absolutely great. So, I don't want to introduce any diseases.

I was thinking of getting it from lowes because they have them for maybe $6... but I also have the option of getting it from a more "upscale" nursery which may be like $15.

Is there a risk of taking home a disease,or am I worrying too much?

Thanks!
Austin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to select a disease free grape vine?

Austin:

You aren't likely to bring home any foliar disease that won't show up anyhow. It's possible but unlikely you could bring home something like root knot nematode. Something in the soil would be more likely than something on the leaves. I'd buy the cheaper plant if it looks healthy but I'm "frugal".

If you can find a Summer Royal get one. It's the best grape I've eaten and ripens a month after Flame. If you want a grape that lasts into fall get a Crimson seedless.

o
RE: How to select a disease free grape vine?

Thanks very mug fruitnut you made me feel a bit less worried. I decided to go with red flame because I didn't even see the variety you suggested. There was only red flame and ruby, and I read ruby was very auspectible to powdery mildew or something, and I thought my current grapevine is doin well so I'll get another. I can eat a lot of grapes!!! (or I guess I'm going to be of they ripen all at once...)

How does one know if nematodes are present? Just inspect some of the soil? My old house at nematodes in some of the regular plants now that I know what they look like. Nasty lookin things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here