Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmm1

Are these bacterial cankers on my weeping cherries?

kjmm1
9 years ago

I had two weeping cherries planted in my yard about a month or so ago...and starting noticing holes in the leaves. I thought maybe a an insect or leaf scorch (I live in hot sunny socal and we just finished two nasty heat waves of over 100 degree weather and these are in full sun).

I read that bacterial canker is sometimes the cause and is a big problem for cherries, so looked and found these.

I thought these were just old pruning wounds, but...ants are attacking the holes, though they are not oozing, so a little sap must be coming out.

There are bigger black spots at the base of the trunk being attacked by ants where the bark is peeling. I thought those might be dog urine damage at first... but now I am worried all of these are bacterial cankers.

The other one is serpentine, and has ants crawling on it and has little shot holes in the leaves, but I can't find these black spots on them like this.

I read that there is no cure for this? Should I remove and discard these two trees? Can it spread to other species trees?

So sad... I always wanted weeping cherry trees, I didn't even get to see them bloom!